Smoke Test

bonesy

Reaction score
City, State
DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0L Eddie Bauer
Hello,

I have a 97 Ranger which is running lean. My buddy and I are interested in completing a "smoke test" but we cannot find any information on how to. Could you please explain what I would need for a smoke test and how to perform it, or direct me to a post/information about it?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you referring to an evap. system leak test?
Is your check engine lite one?

The code, which i cannot remember the exact number, indicated that the gas/air ratio is running lean. We are thinking that there is an intake leak somewhere either on the throttle body, air intake, or at fuel intakes. we wanted to see if we could identify the leak before tearing the whole upper engine compartment apart.

before i give you this tip, use it with extreme caution!!, you can use starting fluid, use short bursts and listen for the engine speed to accelerate. but only spray in quick short bursts and be extremely careful. if you hear an increase in engine speed you found your leak.

Lean codes are typically associated with a bad oxygen sensor. You should get the exact code. If it is a bad O2 Sensor giving you a lean code, the engine is actually running rich. It could be an intake leak. It would be running rough if that was the case. The code would also tell us which sensor it was, you could have 4 of them.

Back