Snow chain model/size for stock 94 ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Snow chain model/size for stock 94 ??

Cheddar Dan

Reaction score
City, State
White Pine, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
What snow chains do you folks prefer? I see a couple of designs online that I like (Super Z and Thule) but when shopping on Amazon more often than not, I get a message that says basically "these won't fit your" 1994 Explorer :( and I cannot tell how to determine the size I need from the choices available. Hmm? Seems like tire size would be a good start, but that doesn't seem to be their question??

Headed to MFG website for more help....

Too late for today's ice storm; I need to rescue an old, old friend 4 miles away who has lost his electricity :( Of course, he lives on a huge hill and cannot walk down. I could have possibly helped him today If I had planned ahead with chains.

Thanks in advance!!!
-dan

BTW Tires are Michelin XLT P235/75 R15

I personally like the diamond-shape style, they're often called S Class, like this:
http://www.lacledechain.com/light-truck-and-suvs/alpine-sport-super-sport

You would need the Laclede/Alpine/Les Schwab 2319 model.

I'd go for a used set on eBay, they're going to get rusted anyway. I ended up getting a 2318 set for my LT235/75-15 since the tires are a little bigger. While they fit and work, it's difficult to get them tight. I got them for $20 and they work so I'm not complaining but definitely get the exact right size, it makes life easier.

I like these because there's always chain on the ground and the way they're structured, they give you side to side traction too, not just forwards and backwards like the ladder-style give you. It's very difficult to lock your wheels up with these chains on. They're also low profile and snug up tight so you can stick them on the front in 4x4.

BIG Thanks!!! I appreciate the information! I've never used / needed chains before so the "side to side" info was much needed!

Tomorrow I hope to have one set of Security Chain Co. ZT729 Super Z's to use until I can figure out what I'm doing! :)

Thanks again!!

Best to ya!
-dan

No problem :) But do take my information with a grain of salt. I moved to a snowy climate not that long ago and while getting chains and new tires helped a bunch, a 2WD Suburban (huge boat) with open differential just does not cut it. My point is, I'm not very seasoned and don't have experience with multiple vehicles and different types of chains. So far, I've been blown away by the 4x4 in the Explorer and I have used chains in 2WD, just to test, that also blew me away.

Using smaller chains too, like the ones I described, should do better in ice since there's more pressure in a smaller area and it will cause the chain to bite in more. If you're offroading in mud or soft terrain, huge ladder-style chains would probably be better, to act as paddles.

Back