• Register Today It's free!

Snow plow?

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
First off, I will say, I am very aware that Ford does not recommend using a snow plow on the Explorer. I am very well versed in the Explorer user manual. However, I'd like to get a snow plow for very light duty plowing. Since our neighborhood is private property, the city doesn't plow it. I'm tired of snow falling, compacting, melting slightly, then freezing solid on our roads, so I'm going to do something about it this year. No matter how much our neighbors talk about it, nobody has actually done anything to get it plowed. (Plus, snowplows are bad ass!)

So does anyone know of a good place to get a snowplow that's a good size for the Explorer? I'd like one that wouldn't be too hard to install (and remove). Some sort of cab-mounted lifting and lowering capability is a must since I don't want to run the plow into speed bumps. Keep in mind that I stock bumper won't be in the way of any mounting locations. I'll build a front bumper myself, so if I know how the plow will mount, I can build it with that in mind.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a look at this one,, it is small enuff to work on an Ex , they even have one on their website,,
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/snowbear_BB100.html
i know a few guys that have these, and i am suprised at how well they work for being light duty,,
they use a winch to raise and lower them, and it can controlled from inside the truck, only thing is when you want to angle them you have to get out and do that by hand,,
But , all around they are okay ,

It's a little smaller than I was hoping to go for, but it looks like one heck of a little unit. Considering the fact that angle adjustment isn't something that you need to do too much on the move, that's not a problem. Anyone know what a good material would be to use for a plow? Would 1/8" steel be a good material if I wanted to make my own? I have the tools necessary to cut and curve the material.

1/8 is good....

Use a little thicker for the replaceable blade though...

Ryan

Personally I wouldn't plow anything with an Explorer, and certainly not anymore than just my driveway. If you're going to plow a street with it I think you're asking for trouble. The transmissions are already the week link on the explorers and you'll probably kill yours in no time. I would pick up some old 3/4 pickup and do it with that. You could probably find an old one with a plow already on it for a good price.

I'd plow with an a4ld unless it had a million miles on it. take it slow and if you make your own, make some height adjustors such as some small pads or skis behind the blade, so the blade runs maybe an 1/8 to 1/4in off the ground to eliminate catching on cracks. This would eliminate alot of stress. Other than that, don't expect to be plowing a foot of snow and you'd be good. I'm still tempted to make a homemade one that'll use the winch on my YJ. You're right, plows are fun! I think alot of that has to do with the snow though

Personally I wouldn't plow anything with an Explorer, and certainly not anymore than just my driveway. If you're going to plow a street with it I think you're asking for trouble. The transmissions are already the week link on the explorers and you'll probably kill yours in no time. I would pick up some old 3/4 pickup and do it with that. You could probably find an old one with a plow already on it for a good price.

The transmission was my main concern at first, but since I'll soon be swapping in a new trans (maybe a 1 ton unit, but most likely a 1/2 ton), so I won't be too worried. As RFR2212 said, I'll just take it easy and not bite off more than the A4LD can chew at first.

Oh, and maybe 1/4 for the replaceable blade, then? That's kind of what I had in mind.

I've had a Snowbear on my Mounty for 4 winter now. I like it. It's fairly tough. If you are going to make your own plow, I'd start with a front receiver hitch, and a piece of 2 inch tube. As for other transmissions, there really aren't any good automatic swap in units.

Back