So has anybody else had their ABS try to kill them lately... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So has anybody else had their ABS try to kill them lately...

I don't think that video proves anything as far as abs goes (doesn't even look like he hit the brakes). The only way to "fix" that situation is to floor it a whip the rear end around all the way...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You honestly believe ABS caused that accident??? Really? I got a bridge to sell ya' too.... Once the car was sideways, it was already too late. The tires were already skidding sideways, and the car already had momentum towards the curb. ABS or not, that vehicle was going into the curb thanks to simple physics.

There is nothing in an ABS system that would have caused the pedal to go to the floor. it would literally take a catastrophic failure of the entire ABS system ( 2/3 of the valves internally would have to stick in an improper position in just the right combination) for anything even remotely like that to happen. The odds of that are infinetessimally small. The fact that the light was coming on should have been a pretty clear sign that there was a malfunctioning component to start with. When your tires go flat, you don't install a lift kit and mud tires to fix the problem, do you? When the engine develops a mis-fire, you don't simply cut off a couple cylinders to prevent it, right? Maybe if the problem had been fixed instead of band-aided by ignoring the light and disabling the system, there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

You honestly believe ABS caused that accident??? Really? I got a bridge to sell ya' too.... Once the car was sideways, it was already too late. The tires were already skidding sideways, and the car already had momentum towards the curb. ABS or not, that vehicle was going into the curb thanks to simple physics.

There is nothing in an ABS system that would have caused the pedal to go to the floor. it would literally take a catastrophic failure of the entire ABS system ( 2/3 of the valves internally would have to stick in an improper position in just the right combination) for anything even remotely like that to happen. The odds of that are infinetessimally small. The fact that the light was coming on should have been a pretty clear sign that there was a malfunctioning component to start with. When your tires go flat, you don't install a lift kit and mud tires to fix the problem, do you? When the engine develops a mis-fire, you don't simply cut off a couple cylinders to prevent it, right? Maybe if the problem had been fixed instead of band-aided by ignoring the light and disabling the system, there wouldn't be a problem, would there?

Well i think I'm about finished arguing about this. as i stated before, i only gave my take on ABS in response to what the OP had asked. but to answer you're questions (or more accurately correct you're answer to my statement): the ABS system malfunctioned before it had been "band aided by disabling it" at the time of the malfunction however, the ABS light did come on occasionally (when it shouldn't have). after the malfunction, i disabled it by disconnecting it. and there have been no incidences since. I'm just not a big fan of ABS, Traction control, or any other type of interface between me and what's going on. so for me, disabling it is the best option, but to each their own. like i said earlier, i'm sure ABS is a good thing for many people. i just prefer not to have it, if for no other reason than ABS doesn't stop a car on dirt very well.

Also i didn't mean the pedal literally went to the floor, i meant it was pressed down hard/all the way (flooring the brakes, so-to-speak)

the mustang driver in that video may or may not have hit the brakes, but if when his car was sideways (before it drove into the other cars) he had locked the brakes, he could have skidded down the road straight, instead of being pulled (by his regained traction) towards the other cars.

have to agree that the video had absolutely nothing to do with ABS. all that video shows is some jackass trying to showoff and in the end looking stupid and causing multiple property damage charges. all that guy had to do is turn the wheel the other way, i mean he wasn't even accelerating when he hit.:dunno: he should have learned how to drive it before he bought it.:D

ive had a 2000 explorer for 2 years it was a company vehicle never had braking problems my recently purchased 1994 explorer is a nightmare i have changed the rotors and calipers and brakes new rear tires. driving this week in a snow storm my ABS is kicking in but my tires are locking up i bleed my brakes and the calipers from the brake line cant figure out what i did wrong!!!!!!!!!!!
whats the deal with pulling the fuse out for the ABS does it work?
please help before i crash

Thanks

Back