SOHC - Change spark plugs without pulling engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC - Change spark plugs without pulling engine?

bluevolume

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
I hoped to change my plugs this weekend on my 01 XLT, but didn't have enough time to figure out how to get to them all. I was able to change 2 on the drivers side pretty easily, but the rest are a challenge. The front cylinder on the driver's side has the EGR pipe right in front of it -- I can't even get the boot off. And on the passenger side, it looks like I can remove some hoses and get to 1 or 2, but the one in the far back I can hardly even see.

What is the best method for getting to those plugs? I want to finish this job soon, but don't have the time to pull the engine!

On a side note, I looked at the plugs that I took out and it looks like the platinum electrodes have burned off completely. The gap was around .060. Are the original plugs crap?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've heard that for the pass.rear plug you can try through the wheelwell...i've only got the ohv6 and am able to get'em all from the top but i need to do them again soon and am going to try the wheelwell for that one

on the front cylinder on the driver side use a extender on that one. on the pass. side you need to take the wheel off and the wheel well gaurd off to. to get the boots off it would help to twist and turn the boot to crack the seal or suchion that it has on the plug. but i know the back two pass. side plugs are going to be you hardest. Because i just change mine a couple of weeks ago.

The three on the passenger side are fairly easy to get to through the wheel well. Just take off the plastic apron thing and it's really not tought at all. I don't seem to remember having any trouble with the drivers side. I do have a universal joint on my spark-plug socket, so that may explain me not recollecting any problems. I changed all 6 in around 45 minutes.

I've done all of mine through the fenders. It's too hard to see and get your hands down there. It can be a challenge poking around there with no visual. I preferred being able to jack it up, sit on a chair and look at the plugs at eye level. Pulling the boots in one of the hardest parts if they've never been off before. The center one and the passenger side doesn't give you much room to pull.

knuckle busting thats what your in for

after you do it once its pretty easy..

pull both front tires off and go through the wheelwells for the tough ones. you're going to need at least 1 swivel joint.. 2 makes the job a sinch.

I also recommend going at the spark plugs by pulling the front tires, and removing the slash guard in each wheel well. Do this on both the passenger and drivers side. You'll need a variety of socket extensions. I don't recommend using swivels since you might break a spark plug. To remove the spark plug boots, buy a boot puller, wrench type, and grab the boots as close to the engine as possible, twist slowly and then pull firmly. Buy some dielectric grease for the inside of the boots when re-installing. Changing the spark plugs on the explorer is not much fun. Actually, the whole design of the explorer is not really very maintenance friendly. Just work on one plug at a time and you'll get it done. Good luck.

I second the suggestion to use the BOOT PULLER! Nothing worse than breaking off a plug. The boot puller will allow you to grip the boot firmly, rotate it a little if it's sticky and safely work it off the plug. I also went thru the wheel wells on both sides, working at eye level by jacking the truck up (be sure to use jack stands). I was really dreading the job before I got into it, and was amazed how really easy it was once I got started. I also replaced all my plug cables. It took some doing to fish them thru their proper routes, but still not all that difficult. Expect a scraped knuckle or two. ;)

Man, having a V8 rocks. It took me 20 mins total (removing and gapping the new plugs) to do mine. All I did was jack up each side just enough to give me room, no need to remove the wheels for me :p

Back