boominXplorer

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4x4 Mounty
I dont know if everyone knows this but they make headers for the SOHC motor. They are on the summit website. I just was lookign and saw them and thought i should just bring themto attention.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer Express has had them for about a year.

The consensus is that the headers on the SOHC are pretty efficient and there isn't too much power to be found in the headers.

They are made by JBA and come in chrome and ceramic coated. If you decide to buy the ceramic are the way to go for longevity and looks.

So if I am understanding this correctly, putting on a set of headers is a waste of money. The stock exhaust manifold works as well as any set of headers on the engine.

TIA

Deak

I would say that headers on a V6 SOHC not are a waste of money. They do improve net horsepower and that is what we are looking for. But horsepower per money spent is not as good as other mods. The headers are one of the last things you are going to do. Headers are definitely a stage 2 mod. The gains are not huge, but when installed along with exhaust, intake, mass air & computer chip it is a worthy upgrade. I recently drove a Sport Trac with all of these mods and felt pretty stout. Definitely the fastest Sport Trac I have driven without a supercharger!

Check out our power part page on our Explorer Express web site.

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catalog/pages/stage2v6.html

Well I had a look at EE but they don't make em for the 97 X. 99 is the lowest year they go.

Deak

I have been told that the 99 MAF sensors will work on the 97 and 98 year models. John, is this true. I have a 75mm throttle body off a 2001 Mustang GT that I put on my X and now need a MAF that matches it.

Back