• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Headers installed...

DesertSpive

Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ranger FX4
I got my JBA headers/exhaust/wires installed yesterday and had a great time. I don't have time to post pics right now, but I can say I am impressed with the smooth power delivery and increased driveability. My truck has some definate meat in the powerband and is a pleasure to drive with the new found power.

When reading the numbers, keep in mind that I already had the Spin-Tech exhaust on my truck before and we replaced it with the JBA EVOL exhaust. The JBA exhaust has mandrel bends and is freer flowing, so I am sure it added a couple hp. We also installed JBAs wires. These are VERY high quality wires made from the same manufacturer that makes BMWs wires. We tested the ohm resistance in the wires. One of the stock wires had a resistance of 11.8, while the same JBA wire only had a resistance of .7.

Another thing you SOHC people may be suprised to hear is how linear the hp is delivered and how flat our torque curve is. From 1900rpms to about 4700rpms, the curve is nearly flat. I definately have more respect from this motor after seeing it on the dyno.

This was a Dyno Dynamics dyno, not a DynoJet, so the numbers at the wheels are a bit lower, however, using it as a tool to measure gains is accurate.

My baseline run netted me (at the wheels):
153hp @ 4900rpms
177lbft @ 2800rpms

My fourth run with everything installed:
161hp @ 4700rpms
189lbft @ 3600rpms
(this torque peak seems high, but torque stays above 185lbft from 2500-4200rpms, that is how flat the curve is. At 1500 rpms, the truck is still laying down 176lbft.)

That is 8hp and 12lbft of torque to the wheels. And that is flowing through the factory Y-pipe and cats.

Note that I have a K&N intake and Superchips module.

I would definately recomend the JBA products and I will post pics when I get a chance to get the off the camera.

--Sean

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How diffucult was the install and how long did it take?

Thanks.....

hey man thats awesome, whats the website for your headers. I have been looking for some good ones for my SOHC.:bounce:

Matt

nevermind, found the site:confused:. Those are waaaaayyy to expensive. Is it worth $500 for those headers:eek:

Sean, so did you end up losing any low end torque? It looks like you gained some mid-high end torque.

Originally posted by FordBeast98
nevermind, found the site:confused:. Those are waaaaayyy to expensive. Is it worth $500 for those headers:eek:

That depends. :confused: If you are trying to justify the price vs. power gain, yea their pricey. But if you are planning to purchace a set of headders, JBA (IMHO) are one of the best products available and are more than worth the asking price.

Back