SOHC-Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC-Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement

wacc

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer Limited
The timing chain in my SOHC is rattling. I got an estimate from my mechanic for $585 (labor) plus parts. He said depending on the condition of the chain that maybe just the tensioners need to be replaced.

Does $585 labor sound fair to you all?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You posted this in the 2002-2005 section, but your profile says '95. SOHC not available in '95, so unsure what year is in question.

$585 for labor is high for just tensioner replacement.

First step in eliminating chain rattle is to replace the two primary chain tensioners, one in each head. I don't know if or why it might be harder in a 3rd generation Explorer, but in the 2nd generation the one in the right head should take no more than an hour by a competent shop, and maybe two more hours to do the left side.

I just bought both parts online two weeks ago for $87 including shipping.

If the rattle persists, then you are looking at a much bigger project, and labor that does not overlap the work already done. $585 sounds about right for labor to replace just the front (left) timing cassette, jackshaft chain & tensioner. Rear (right) cassette is more, as it requires separating engine from transmission.

The reason I posted it in here is because the engine is in my 2001 Ranger (same motor that would be in a 2002 Explorer). I also have a 95 Explorer.

Ford's TSB shows the job to take a little over 6 hours.

It is just kind of odd that they would say the cost of the labor would depend on the condition of the chain(s) and that maybe only tensioners would be required.

You can't determine the condition of the chain without doing most of the labor involved in chain replacement. Tensioners would be the first thing to replace and have essentially zero labor in common with chain replacement.

Well, the area will already be opended up to replace the tensioners. So, no more labor to pull out timing chain and replace if needed.

No. That is why I say it is odd. Getting to the jackshaft and front primary chain is a front-of-the-engine task that requires removing the fan, accessories, water pump and other things that block access to the timing cover. The hydraulic tensioner for the front primary chain is accessed from the top of the motor by removing the intake manifold. The rear primary chain tensioner is accessed from inside the right wheel arch (tensioner is adjacent to rear spark plug on right head).

All the work you described is exactly why it is estimated to take over 6 hours and cost $585 for the labor alone. Once my mechanic gets all parts out of the way (water pump, etc), they will replace the primary tensioner AND the timing chain, jackshaft, etc if it appears to have been damaged as a result of the tensioner failing.

If they do the tensioners first (3 hours max) and the noise goes away, then there is no reason to remove anything from the front...

Does mechanic have OTC-6488?

It sounds like the mechanic you're speaking with is not a Ford dealer. If so, make certain that he has the OTC-6488 camshaft timing tool set and has used it before. At least one other forum member had his engine destroyed because his mechanic did not have the tool set and did not know how to time the camshaft. After the engine was reassembled and started the valves and pistons immediately collided.

I have a 2002 ford explorer xlt in the shop right now to replace my tensioners, both. The chain was so loose it was literally acting as a chain saw and started cutting into the steel bracing on the engine. It was really bad, not sure what Ill be charged because its a family owned mechanic but he overcharges so Ill probably pay around that price.

Back