• Register Today It's free!

Sohc spark plugs

Jaycal559

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer xlt 4wd
So parts geek has some motor craft plugs for cheap gapped at .054. Any input on plugs and gap?
Truck has 230k miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motorcraft plugs gap .54

Motorcraft SP500, I just bought six and gapped them all down to .053". Use a wire type gauge if you have any. The center electrode is fragile.
My rig is a 1997, the passenger side is difficult, I worked through the wheel well, with the fender liner removed.
280,000 miles on engine, 100K on the plugs, nine years. Left side all three were worn down to .100"+ (right down to the porcelain), right side much less wear, about .063", although the ground electrode was starting to look pretty manky. Waste spark system I guess. All six were even tan colored, looked really good, and truck ran fine getting 20MPG+. I only pulled them out because of the high mileage. Replacement was scheduled for 100K, the maximum I will run a platinum plug, but after seeing the wear from the waste spark, I will now change to a 50K interval on the left side.
They were all hard to remove, but went back in easily. They still had anti-seize on them. With the nickel plated plug bases I don't think anti-seize is necessary, but honestly I don't know.
That's about all I remember.
Best wishes,
Doc

So parts geek has some motor craft plugs for cheap gapped at .054. Any input on plugs and gap?
Truck has 230k miles
Motorcraft has many types of plugs, different materials, different heat ranges - does not mean much. Unless you need them for a short time before getting rid of the vehicle (or the engine), buy double-platinum. Stay with normal heat range if the engine is not burning oil excessively.

Call me old school but I still like Copper plugs best! May not last AS long but super conductive and best fire imo

Yea so how are the sp500 plugs doc was talking about? I’m not sure which are hot or cold.
I have coped in it now who’s is why I’m replacing them again. Getting MC plugs wires and a coil👍🏼
going to do some complex rock trails in the desert soon🙌🏼

Back