Installing SOHC Spark Plugs...Shoot Me | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing SOHC Spark Plugs...Shoot Me

I don't understand it either I just remove the inner fender plastic and install
ratchet And Wobble and extension

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yep very easy

Yeah ive done this job several times and its a 45 minute job at max for me
yeah it isnt bad, find it easier to remove the tire and inner fender, then its an easy ish job.

I like to put a rubber hose on the end of the spark plug to aid and screwing the new one in without crossing Threading it

Do you recall, how many extensions and what size wobbly? Planning to change my plugs, have no idea how old they are or where their gap space is at now. So I can get the tools and have them ready! Shouldn't have to jack up the Ex either.

Reminds me.. When I get through with the fuel pump issue I'm working on it's time to change the plugs. !00,000 mi. on them. Last time I did it as several of the old posts have said remove the wheels and the splash guards. My splash guards are still off.. Replaced the control arms/ ball joints a while ago and left them off for my alignment guy.

Do you recall, how many extensions and what size wobbly? Planning to change my plugs, have no idea how old they are or where their gap space is at now. So I can get the tools and have them ready! Shouldn't have to jack up the Ex either.
IIRC I used a 3" straight extension and a 6" wobble (not together, used different configurations on different plugs). Since the spark plug sockets are already deep, you don't want too much extension or you'll start running into other things with your ratchet (heater core box being one).

Do yourself a favor and spray some penetrating oil down there the night before you pull the plugs, especially if they're original or damn near it. Let it soak in.

Through the wells is def the way to go

I like to put a rubber hose on the end of the spark plug to aid and screwing the new one in without crossing Threading it
I read somewhere a long time ago that when you change your spark plug wires to keep one of the old ones, cut it to about 2' in length from the boot end. And then use it to start all your new plugs in the future. A sparkplug wire boot is the perfect tool to grab a sparkplug and start it without cross threading it.

Hose is better if you’re dealing with deep wells. It’s the only way to get them on a 2.5 Subaru.

I just use my spark plug socket to start plugs. It has a rubber insert that grips the plug. I mean in my hand, with a non-wobble extension if needed, not on a ratchet.

Several lengths of extensions and various wobbles are well worth investing in, even if you get the cheap ones at Harbor Freight which are only ~$10 or so for multiple pieces in each drive size. Get impact rated pieces if you have that option for what you need, then they're good for both hand and impact wrench use instead of rebuying same type of tools over again... unless you just really, dig, chrome plating. I don't mean sockets, sometimes you need the thin walled non-impact sockets.

IIRC I used a 3" straight extension and a 6" wobble (not together, used different configurations on different plugs). Since the spark plug sockets are already deep, you don't want too much extension or you'll start running into other things with your ratchet (heater core box being one).
Very helpful. Thanks. I think I have these already!

Back