SOHC Tensioner & Intake Manifold Warranty | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Tensioner & Intake Manifold Warranty

Yikes 6 yrs, i better call ford to see if it is included in the recall

only 20 more days

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yuppers.... still in effect for 6 yrs, 72000 miles from the date of purchase. Get it in ASAP. They'll fix it. It is a recall and will be covered at no cost to you.

Yuppers.... still in effect for 6 yrs, 72000 miles from the date of purchase. Get it in ASAP. They'll fix it. It is a recall and will be covered at no cost to you.

Who has a 6 year-old Explorer with less than 72k miles? That's crazy! A whole 12k a year... :rolleyes: What does Ford want you to do - park it and never drive anywhere? My 2000 has over 110k on it. Has the rattle at startup too. :mad:

Just a update, removed IAC, cleaned it up and reinstalled, started up fine, ran fine, engine light stayed off too, gotta get another one sometime.

thanks everyone

Who has a 6 year-old Explorer with less than 72k miles? That's crazy! A whole 12k a year... :rolleyes: What does Ford want you to do - park it and never drive anywhere? My 2000 has over 110k on it. Has the rattle at startup too. :mad:

I've got a 6-year old F-150 with 52,000 miles on it. It's not un-heard of. Some people live close to work, some people don't use a vehicle for the daily driver. My sister rides her bike to work (less than 2 miles). Believe it or not, some people don't own a car! It happens!

-Joe

I've got a 6-year old F-150 with 52,000 miles on it. It's not un-heard of. Some people live close to work, some people don't use a vehicle for the daily driver. My sister rides her bike to work (less than 2 miles). Believe it or not, some people don't own a car! It happens!

-Joe

You're the exception, and I also must add; you're the kind of guy I like to BUY my used cars from! :D

Anyway, in the context of a warrantee;
I think, if it’s a defect, it’s a defect! What kind of garbage is it to put limits on time or mileage, when Ford knows they sent out defective units? They should just fix it… 52k miles, or 252k miles. :mad:

My 99 Sport just turned 61K...........

Just talked to a lady at the Ford hotline and she confirmed that the Timing Chain Tension Pulley was a Customer Satisfaction program where they extended the warrenty on this for 6yrs or 72,000 miles. It is not a recall and that after the warrenty extension has expired they will no longer fix this problem under warrenty. This is a bunch of Bull to have a problem big enough to extend the warrenty but not notify the owner of it. I bought my '98 Ex in 2003 and could have had it taken care of if only I had known about it, now I'm s**t out of luck. Well thats a major car manufacturer for ya.

Just talked to a lady at the Ford hotline and she confirmed that the Timing Chain Tension Pulley was a Customer Satisfaction program where they extended the warrenty on this for 6yrs or 72,000 miles. It is not a recall and that after the warrenty extension has expired they will no longer fix this problem under warrenty. This is a bunch of Bull to have a problem big enough to extend the warrenty but not notify the owner of it. I bought my '98 Ex in 2003 and could have had it taken care of if only I had known about it, now I'm s**t out of luck. Well thats a major car manufacturer for ya.

First, not all of the SOHC motors experience the problem. Some vehicles live their entire useful lives without the problem manifesting itself. Other vehicles have the problem right from day one (mine developed the first time before its first oil change). Not all vehicles were affected.

Second, recalls are only issued when the a manufacturer's defect has the potential to be a safety hazard. While the cam chain tensioner issue may be annoying, it's neither life-threatening nor a safety issue, hence, no recall.

Third, Ford did, in fact, notify all its owners of the warranty extension. My letter from Ford is sitting in the file cabinet at home. (Stumbled across it yesterday looking for my reciepts for some other parts). The leter to owners was dated either November or December of 2000.
November 2000

00M12 (gasket and tensioner)

Mr. John Sample
123 Main Street
Anywhere, New Mexico 12345

Your Vehicle Identification Number: 12345678901234567

At Ford Motor Company, we are constantly working to improve our products. The reason for this letter is to tell you about a no charge coverage program. What is the no charge coverage program?

Two internal components in newly produced Ford Explorer and Mercury Mountaineer 4.0L SOHC engines were recently enhanced to improve customer satisfaction. Ford would like to extend the long-term benefits of those two improvements to you by providing a no charge warranty extension, program number 00M12. What parts of your vehicle are covered?...

Specifically, this program extends the warranty on the camshaft chain tensioner and the lower intake manifold gasket in certain 1997 to 2000 model Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles and 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport-Trac vehicles with 4.0L SOHC engines to a total of 6 years or 72,000 miles from the vehicle's warranty start date, whichever comes first. During this period, should either of these components require replacement, your Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer is authorized to replace both at the same time at no charge to you. If your vehicle already has more than 72,000 miles, this coverage will last until April 30, 2001. Refunds ...

If the camshaft chain tensioner or lower intake manifold gasket was the cause of a repair which occurred before the date of this letter, Ford is offering a full refund. For the refund, please give your paid original receipt to your Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealer. To avoid delays, do not send receipts to Ford Motor Company. If you've changed address or sold the vehicle...

Please fill out the enclosed prepaid postcard and mail it to us if you have changed address or sold the vehicle. Quality Care service is there for you all year round.

Quality Care is the commitment of Ford Motor Company and its dealerships to provide you with a superior service and ownership experience. We stand committed with our dealers to assist you with all of your automotive service needs. With our nationwide dealer network, we're here to ensure you receive Quality Care service so that your vehicle maintains peak performance throughout your ownership experience. We hope this no charge coverage confirms our commitment to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on becoming the world's leading consumer company for automotive products and services.

If the previous owner failed to provide you with a copy of that letter, how is that Ford's fault? The previous owner was informed by mail. Had the previous owner experienced the problem, it would have been fixed under the terms of the warranty extension. Even if you had experienced the problem, it would have been covered, as long as you were within the 6/72. How much more support should Ford be expected to provide???

Hmm... Here's hoping they'll continue to honor 00m12! I have that same rattle. I was about to try heavier oil... Glad I didn't!

EDIT: Meh. I just actually read it and saw the short mileage issue. I have 125k.

Le Sigh.

I'm curious what years are affected by this problem. I see references up to 2000 but I have an 01 Sport Trac with the 4.0sohc. The issue I have is what seems like spark rattle that I only really notice in 1st gear (automatic trans) under light acceleration. I also have somewhat of a rough idle, not bad at all but I notice it. My mileage seems rather low as well. I only get around 16 in the city. Acceleration wise, my wifes 3.0 Escape can easily outrun me but I always just figured it was a power to weight thing. I have religously change fule filters and whatnot and changing the plugs, which all looked good, did not seem to help the little idle hiccup. I know I'm not included in the warranty program but mainly curious if the 01's had the same issue with the intake gaskets.

Back