Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid Block versus Servo Bore Problem - 2005 w/5R55S Tranny

I'm not quite to the point of ponying up the cash yet, but there are only two transmission shops between mine and the neighboring town. It'd be a PITA to go farther away :(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LTCPipkin, How has the transmission held up so far? I am driving to Petersburg in the morning to pick up a rebuilt 5R from the place you recommended. You and I had the same exact problems with our transmission's, and because of your thread I was spared the expense of the solenoid block. Thank you. I am performing the labor to remove and install the transmission, so I will be in the whole job for around 1600.00 after purchasing fuel for my 3hr ride there, and 3hr ride back. UPDATES UPDATES PLZZ.. Thanks again, CDsCycleShop

Well, I picked up a rebuilt 5R from Glenn's Transmission yesterday, and LTCPipkin was on Que when he said the owner (Charles) was a strait shooter. No BS around that shop that I could see in my 1 hour visit. The tranny was $1575.00 after tax, and I spent $125.00 on gas. I got the tranny back in the hole this afternoon and got a few bell housing bolts started. Oh yeah, they tore down the old tranny while I was there, and the same exact things were wrong with it, that were wrong with LTCPipkin's tranny. I think mine may have been in a little worst shape the LTC's. I will post some pics later.

i know this is an older thread, but i would like to ask how are the rebuilds from petersburg holding up?

Ditto. I live in VA Beach and I'm keeping this place in mind if the aj1e servo bore fix doesn't work for me. Hows their rebuilds doing Pipkin?

Just had my 04 Explorer in the shop after the infamous O/D flashing issue and hard slamming shift around 3rd. They determined replacing the solenoid block. I was happy with that as it seemed to be the issue with the research Ive done as well.

Called this afternoon to pick up the truck and was told still issues and needs new transmission!! ughhh. Says internal issues still problems in 2nd n 3rd shifting. I'm now lost. I told him I understand this is a common problem in these trucks and I dont want to go down the road of a tranny replace when sometimes that isnt even the issue and is a waste.

UPDATE:

O/D flashing and P0733 / P0745 codes are gone and now fixed. The issue is when they test drove it the tech felt slip around 2nd n 3rd which his reply was just new tranny of course. I explained that had been a issue with it for quite some time. Only had a major issue when the OD started flashing recently with slamming 3rd gear. Solenoid block seemed to fix that thankfully.

Would the servo bore fix be a potential remedy for the 2nd/3rd slip?

Did the shop adjust the bands?

I too have experienced the odd shifting as described in this and other threads: Now comes my twist . when i got this 2007 Explorer it would shift into all gears when cold then when it heated up i began the no or harsh shift. I spent the 200.00 on the Servo bore fix with the "O" rings and was at first only able to manage time to replace the servo farthest from the "bell housing" drove it home and later finally replaced the other servo, closest to the bell. well now i have nothing in forward or reverse. i tried to adjust the bands and when i tightened the one farthest from the bell i lost neutral as well or rather i had no "free Wheel" movement . loosened up that band a bit and got the free wheel in neutral back but still no forward or reverse. I don't even feel that initial bump or lerch that one would normally feel as you shift from park or neutral i hear the pump almost whining so i am assuming i haven't lost the pump. it has been snowing here since the servo swap so i have yet too get the solenoid ohm test performed. other than that test does anybody have any other thoughts as to why i lost all gears?

Well I had 3rd completely gone in my '03 Ford explorer. After calling around to rebuild shops. I decieded to go with West Michigan Transmissions. I removed and reinstalled the transmission myself to save $600+. But i paid $1760 for a full rebuild. They replaced just about every single part in the transmission. Just got it installed and got about 100 miles on it so far. and all seems good. Ooh yea i got a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

dkindle613: How's that rebuilt trans from West Michigan Transmissions holding up 4+ years later? TIA, Drew.

Hi All:
Just wanted to say THANKS! for the detailed and many tutorials/guides on here! Extremely helpful is an understatement.
Also thought one of you experts might know this symptom/problem right away.

-Pretty much stock 2005 Explorer XLT
-Mileage approx 80k

Just replaced:
-Solenoid Shift pack
-Stock servo Bore replacements with the AJ1 o-ringed ones
-Trans filter and fluid
-Reset all the vehicles PCM and other computers via the positive to disconnected negative battery cable method described on this site.

Current Issue:
From cold or warm start still get occasional shift delays; Engine will rev, but vehicle not move forward. Let off gas or shift back in drive and will engage.
Not all the time, just enough to be a concern. What bugs me the MOST (like all of us, right) is the low, low mileage on the vehicle, vs all these known 'problems'.

Tomorrow:
-Will run my OBD2 scan tool (pretty basic) and see if any codes stored.
-Will tighten bands as per the posts on this forum indicate

For the record:
No OD lights flashing
No trans light or engine light flashing

Shifts through gears A LOT smoother than before, no lurch or clunks!
Slight whine from Tranny area it sounds like. Don't recall hearing that before?
Will try to keep you all posted, maybe this will help someone else someday! :rolleyes:

Hi All:
Just wanted to say THANKS! for the detailed and many tutorials/guides on here! Extremely helpful is an understatement.
Also thought one of you experts might know this symptom/problem right away.

-Pretty much stock 2005 Explorer XLT
-Mileage approx 80k

Just replaced:
-Solenoid Shift pack
-Stock servo Bore replacements with the AJ1 o-ringed ones
-Trans filter and fluid
-Reset all the vehicles PCM and other computers via the positive to disconnected negative battery cable method described on this site.

Current Issue:
From cold or warm start still get occasional shift delays; Engine will rev, but vehicle not move forward. Let off gas or shift back in drive and will engage.
Not all the time, just enough to be a concern. What bugs me the MOST (like all of us, right) is the low, low mileage on the vehicle, vs all these known 'problems'.

Tomorrow:
-Will run my OBD2 scan tool (pretty basic) and see if any codes stored.
-Will tighten bands as per the posts on this forum indicate

For the record:
No OD lights flashing
No trans light or engine light flashing

Shifts through gears A LOT smoother than before, no lurch or clunks!
Slight whine from Tranny area it sounds like. Don't recall hearing that before?
Will try to keep you all posted, maybe this will help someone else someday! :rolleyes:

@Electriceyeguy. Do you have any updates to your story? Having similar issues. My 2002 Explorer just went out of the blue. No torque. Only works in second gear. Was slow to start out after it sat for the night or it was cold. Only sometimes tho. Nothing major. Shifted strong and great before this happened.
OD light would flash after going 45mph. Then one day. Poof! Gone. Don’t know what to do. Seems that people have been replacing whole transmissions and the OD light still flashed.
So confused.
Any help would be great!

Thx.

"OD light would flash after going 45mph."

Have you confirmed (based on rpm's at given speed) that you lost overdrive? If that band has not broken or burnt out, the AJ1 Superior o/d servo fix is by far the most cost_effective first fix. Does not sound like you're only problem, though.

Overdrive light flashing, not shifting into overdrive, winds out in 1st before shifting to 2 and almost instantly goes to 3rd
SES is on now, code scanners get nothing when connected and they say I must have a blown fuse for the cigarette lighter but all fuses are good and all electrical works fine. 198,000 miles I'm thinking my trans has finally had enough.

Back