Solid Axles to use with stock width Explorer/Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solid Axles to use with stock width Explorer/Ranger

cyclegrip

Reaction score
City, State
PA
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that just did a SAS and kept the rear 8.8". Did you just use like a Dana 30 from a Jeep or did you get a Dana 44 from an F150 and narrow it? I'm completely stumped on what you could use a Dana 44 from that would maintain the stock width, or close to the same width as the rear axle.
I don't have an Explorer or Ranger yet but would like to get one, I want to SAS it, and wanna look into how much an axle would be. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use an early bronco or jeep wagoneer d44.

and why is it we don't use a jeep dana 30. can't just be a pride issue.:p:

Jeep Dana 30's are a weaker axle than the TTB, some guys have swapped them but since the Explorer has a frame and typically is heavier than an XJ or ZJ most guys who go with the 30 break a lot and upgrade again.

As for the Scout, they are passenger drop.

The best donor axle as Section525 already stated is a Wagoneer Dana 44 or a Early Bronco Dana 44. The Early Bronco 44 is low pinion, therefore some guys (me included) have cut down the F150 44 to stock width and ran an early bronco shaft on the passenger side. I kept my 8.8 and purchased wheel adapters to go from 5x4.5 to 5x5.5

Check out our solid axle swap registry and read the sticky's at the top of the thread for some good information.

Like Dannyboy I narrowed a 77 f150 axle and have adapters on the 8.8
I had the adapters made at a local machine shop from 3/4" plate
I also cut 6" out of the center of the drive axle and the same shop welded and straitened it for me.

Back