Solved: Engine oil and filter for 4.0 SOHC - 5W-20 or 5W-30? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved: Engine oil and filter for 4.0 SOHC - 5W-20 or 5W-30?

I always use the cheapest Full Synthetic Walmart TECH2000?/SUPERTECH and same TECH2000/SUPERTECH oil filter in the FL1A size in my 4.0SOHC. 260K+ going strong. 7500-8500 oil change intervals.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks. I changed the title. But I was looking for that tag “solved” that I sometimes see on other posts titles.

I think mods typically do that. @peterk9 would surely know, and Is plenty helpful.

interesting thread!!! ive been using mobil 5-30 full syn since day one and switched to mobil 5-30 full syn HM at 250k when the rear main had a slight drip... for the entire 310k ive had my x ive used the fram PH8A filter... now after reading all of this ive probably been using the wrong filter but all things considered i dont tuink theyre as horrible as portrayed since ive used them for 310k and at 2.5k OCI

Also, would you reccomend I switch to a 0-20 or 0-30, or a thicker hot weight oil such as 5-40 or 0-40 if that exists? And, Ive heard some people swear by diesel oil like rotella t6. Is there any difference? sorry im not very educated in oils except for synthetic is better...

interesting thread!!! ive been using mobil 5-30 full syn since day one and switched to mobil 5-30 full syn HM at 250k when the rear main had a slight drip... for the entire 310k ive had my x ive used the fram PH8A filter... now after reading all of this ive probably been using the wrong filter but all things considered i dont tuink theyre as horrible as portrayed since ive used them for 310k and at 2.5k OCI

Also, would you reccomend I switch to a 0-20 or 0-30, or a thicker hot weight oil such as 5-40 or 0-40 if that exists? And, Ive heard some people swear by diesel oil like rotella t6. Is there any difference? sorry im not very educated in oils except for synthetic is better...
ive always used fram filters and cant figure out why anyone would slam a company that only makes filters over one that makes all of the other things and some filters.... if exxon/mobile started making cola would everyone slam coke or pepsi.... in the end nobody is using dollar store paper towels inside their filters

I cut open a few brands now I will only buy motorcraft

well thats the problem.... quit cutting filters open and never look at the hotdog after you bite it
Maybe I'm still sleeping but I don't get it
I will say when you spend the money I did on a engine and mods
You cut open the filter on the first couple oil changes

Me thinks he was joking; don't ask or look too closely at what's in the HotDog\Sausage\Spam,
unless of course you want to become vegan.
D
YEAH! i dont want to know what the filter is catching... just that its a filter... if its clean then its a filter and if its dirty then im sure the filter isnt the problem

Back