Some help understanding why some Explorers show OBD Data and others do not. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Some help understanding why some Explorers show OBD Data and others do not.

paulboyden

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013, Ford Explorer
Hi there.

I am querying a number of Explorers (2013, 2014 and 2015 models). All of them share the same VIN Prefix. Some of them can supply the Fuel % (remaining in the tank). Some do not (marked as Missing). I have indicated the data below.

Can someone please explain to me why some models provide the information whereas others do not, especially when they are from the same year and the Same Model type.

Any help understanding why would be much appreciated.

VIN Prefix ----- Model ----- Year ----- Engine ----Total Mileage -----Fuel %
1FM5K8F8 ---- Explorer ---- 2014 ---- 3.6L ----------- √ ---------- √
1FM5K8F8 ---- Explorer ---- 2015 ---- 3.5L ----------- √ ---------- Missing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just looking at your list, the common thread is the engine type.

The data is most likely in the computer, rather it's raw value is probably calculated differently or stored in a different memory location and your software isn't retrieving it correctly.

Also just realized you said "OBD" data. Not all data in the vehicle is transferred to the OBDII Module. While some manufacturer's include more data in the OBD module, only the emissions related data is required.

Try using Forscan Lite to get the data directly from the individual modules in the vehicle. The Fuel Tank Level should also be in the Instrument Cluster Module (as a value to display on the console).

3.0 and 3.6? not engine sizes for the explorer.

3.5 N/A and 3.5EB Turbo, along with the 2.0EB T and now 2.3EB T

I was thinking this too

3.0 and 3.6? not engine sizes for the explorer.

3.5 N/A and 3.5EB Turbo, along with the 2.0EB T and now 2.3EB T

I wasn't sure if the intention was discussing the 3.5 vs 3.7 that's in the Interceptor variant, but I knew something was off...

Some background

Hi Gatzdon,

Thanks for this. I had considered the Engines having an effect but thought the CAN bus would be standard across engines, which it turns out it is not. By this I mean they would all use the same memory locations to store the value.

I will query the instrument cluster as you suggest.

Am I right in assuming that for all new models of Explorer released by Ford (with different Engine sizes) , it would be wise to perform a scan if the Instrument cluster in case Ford have moved the Fuel Level & value to some other location.

Hi cwescapexlt4x4,

some quick background to my challenge. I am evaluating an OBD product from a company and they provided data about the Ford Explorers they have connected to. The data in the table was what they provided. I did think the Engine sizes were wrong. They use the term 'Displacement' when they provided the 3.0 and 3.6 figures. I have asked them to re-check these as.

Cheers.

Hi Gatzdon,

Thanks for this. I had considered the Engines having an effect but thought the CAN bus would be standard across engines, which it turns out it is not. By this I mean they would all use the same memory locations to store the value.

CAN BUS is a communication protocol.

The OBD and PCM modules will definitely have variations for different engines.

Most differences will probably be subtle and transparent to the end user, others not.

There may be trained mechanics on the forum here that could speak to specific differences, but most of us are just enthusiasts for the vehicles we own, hence probably 'experts' only for the specific variation that we own personally.

Back