some more 5.0 ?'s

dogodell

Reaction score
City, State
north carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL (2 door) 5 spd
Hey guys,

I have been doing some research about a 5.0 swap and have a few questions that I haven't been able to figure out... (yes I've searched but cant find much on the f150 swaps... see bellow)

My 97 Explorer Sport OHV 5 spd is getting very tired and its time for some upgrades... :D

I know that the V8 explorer swaps are the easiest but

I happen to have a early 90's F150 rusted out frame (crate 302 w/ less than 1000 miles) M50D manual trans and whatever manual transfer case happens to be in the truck...

besides from having to swap out the intake what do I need to consider?

?will the transfer case fit?
?electrical/ computer issues?
?fuel?
?any special considerations for the manual trans?

thanks in advance and sorry if some of these have already been discussed and I just missed them

oh yeah also plan on a SAS and f150 coils etc to deal w/ weight etc (and I figured it would cool to have an X with a little wider stance thanks to the Ford 9 and Dana 44)

The Explorer has a hard time taking a 302 with the OEM front dress from an Explorer. There is only 3.5" of space between the radiator and the water pump, and the V8 radiator sets forward under the support slightly.

You can deal with the long front dress of all other 302's besides the SN95 Mustang and Explorer 302's. I wouldn't do it, but tons have in the early Explorer V8's you see running around. They cut up the radiator supports and use very thin radiators and fans etc.

The OEM 96-01 Explorer 302 parts bolt right into your truck for the Explorer 302. If you don't use the whole package, you will have to do a lot of fabricating. The manual trans is the least of problems, others have done that I'm sure, but I can't recall it here. The transfer case will probably fit okay also, we already have many with huge Expedition/Navigator/F250 TC's.

If you buy the unique Explorer 302 parts which you don't have, it will all bolt in fine. Those are all relatively easy and cheap to come by. To do the manual would be part of the PCM tune that you'd have to have with the non stock 302 internals(all of your nice parts). The PCM can be told to stop any trans functions.

ok great thanks for the input!!! guess I've got everything I need now its time to decide if its worth going through with....

any one have any opinions (lol guess I should probably rephrase that)

anyone have any fact based opinions on the pro's/ con's of doing a slightly built SOHC swap vs the 5.0 swap

thanks again

The SOHC is very efficient for it's size, but the V6 trans is barely adequate for truck use. The 302 trans is very strong for basically everything except full sized towing use. The mileage with the V6 would be slightly better, the V8 feels much better in normal driving, more effortless.

Back