Something snapped while shifting into park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Something snapped while shifting into park.

trevell407

Reaction score
City, State
Kissimmee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Last night when I got home I shifted my explorer into park and something made a snapping noise.
Now when its in park it says its in neutral on the P R N D 2 1 thing.
and when its in drive it says its in 2nd and so forth.
How is the shifter connected to the P R N D 2 1 thing?
Is this an easy fix or will I just have to deal with it?
Thanks much.

Thea is lil cable that is hooked on the end of the shifter. when you move the shifter it pull the cable and moves the needle. I think You need to take of the plastic cover on the dash under the steering wheel and the metal on behind it then on the back of the it you will see a black cable and a wight screw turn the screw to tightening the cable to but it back on the P.

So theres an adjuster somewhere on the cable?
Im going to go mess with it as soon as it stops raining, thanks much.

Ya it's kinda like how you would adjust the throttle cable looks kinda like one to just smaller. Right at the end of the cable there is a wight screw looking thing just turn it by hand and it will take the slack out of it. What might have happen it the other end popped out of the holder might want to look at that to.

This is how to to get the cover thing off. just the 3rd and 4th steps you need to get to the under side of the shifter. If you look at the 13th pic you can see the other end of the cable that might have popped out of it's holder.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46290&highlight=gauge+cluster

Back