Grinding/Clicking noise shifting into Park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grinding/Clicking noise shifting into Park

Sicarii

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB
I pulled into driveway, parked, got out to open gate, pulled in went to put it into Park and all of a sudden I heard this loud clicking/grinding noise coming from either in front of me or below me I guess and I had P would not engage (it would roll forward). I then tried putting it into Reverse...no noises, but continued to roll forward. When I shifted into Drive it felt like that took hold, I couldn't test it much as I was already about 2ft from a wall, but I'm pretty sure it works.

I guess the only other background info I can think of is ever since I bought it about a year ago or so is that it doesn't always know it's in Park when I go to start vehicle I get nothing, unless I hold the shifter way up into Park.

I can see the torque bolts from pictures I've found here up under the dash on the shifter and they are solid (by hand). I guess I'm just looking for the right terminology of what to search for, like do I gotta look up about this transfer case and parking pawl or something?

At least its in my driveway and I don't need to go to work until Tuesday! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a 2wd/4wd? Is it drivable? Look at parking pawl failure, drive shaft, or maybe transfer case if it's a 4WD.

It's 4wd and out there messin with it some more, reverse lights do come on...but I also got it pushed back far enough to test and Drive does not do anything :( Neighbor called a friend and said my bands in transmission are shot...I paid $400 for it about 2 years ago and it has 249k miles on it so I can't really justify rebuilding a transmission. Does that sound like what the issue is with the updated info?

With that high of mileage and not knowing the true history of the vehicle, I would not doubt it. I had 325K when mine went out, but I used Mobil 1 synthetic since new.

yeah, I know whoever had it before me did some crazy stuff...I've used this forum extensively!!! (I know computers but not cars, but am always learning) I was hoping she'd hit the 300k mark..also my trans fluid level is spot on and nice red and still smells sweet. I traced that shifter cable down and found it attached to a little arm next to I guess the transmission...manually moving that arm (vehicle off) i can switch between P, R, N when i get back in the shifter is in different spots so I guess that means the cable is not the issue and really only leaves the "innards" there. thanks for the quick replys on holiday weekend! :thumbsup:

Transfer case maybe. Put it in 4low and see what you have.

yeahhhhh, the 4wd has never worked (since I've had it), don't know why and have never even ventured into that arena as I've never needed it. So next to that little arm that moves with each gear underneath truck is the transfer case correct? I need to remove the 18 bolts and take that cover off? or do I need to get at that little side assembly next to it that the shifter-arm is part of? Y'all are awesome, I wish I could just send ya a beer lol

Back