• Register Today It's free!

Sound

Billabong02

Reaction score
City, State
Seaford, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT
I have had this metallic sound coming from the front of my engine for the past month. I happens when I am accelerating and the rpms reach about 3,000....right before it shifts. I goes away as soon as it shifts. Happens most of the time. When the car is in park i don't hear any sounds. Its not very loud and if the radio is up you probably couldn't hear it. I took it to my local guy and he said that the plastic thing on top of the engine that says 4.0 SOHC was lose and made a metallic sound when he hit it. He fixed it and I still have the sound. I do all regular maintence and have replaced the shocks. I have had the trans looked over and everything was good. I doesn't have any problem shifting. What do you all think?

i was having that problem, i got a tune up, but since i was at 101k with out ever changing the plugs it ended up costing 520 for egr solenoids, coil assemble and labor, now i dont have the problem any more. i also had the 00m12 done about a week before that may have fixed it, i didnt pay attention.

it is you r timing chains the soch has 5of them i am going to the dealer tomorrow to hopefully have them fixed

I will have the guy look at them when he does the oil change. Didn't that recal noise have to happen all the time, even at idle?

Back