Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Hello everybody!!

So I have BF Goodrich KO2s. I bought 5 with 5 rims because I went up to 265-75-16s and have a full size spare also. I had it strapped in the rear with 2 ratchet straps in the cargo area. No big deal, it worked and was held down tight. But it took up ALL the cargo area. Which for wheeling is ok, but when we go out we pack like we are never going home.

I have been researching on here about stuffing it back under the back. Didn't find too much except on the trucks, so I finally just went out and stuck it back under there. With a little deflation and some persuasion it went.

Now I've never put it on a scale, from what I read on the websites, my new rim and tire are roughly 90-95 lbs (and I believe it trying to move them), and my stock ones were roughly 45-55 lbs if I remember correctly. The mount and the cable look sturdy enough and it cranked up easy, but is this going to be safe to do with the extra weight? I would hate to look under there one day to a missing spare tire.

I was thinking about even running a small strap from frame to frame.

I think it would hold up ok Brother but a strap could be a good and safe idea too.
I know it's not for everyone but a roof basket is a great way to carry it so if you get a flat in a odd spot while wheeling you may not be able to get to it.
Something to think about down the road maybe.

Your truck is 20 years old. If the cable is in anything less than perfect condition, I'd use it with the insurance strap under it.

Back