• Register Today It's free!

Spare Tire

blluebear

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc Mounty
I have been looking at new tires and was thinking about going with the 31x10.50x15 for my Mountaineer. Brand being the BFG's in the A/T TKO's. Will this tire fit in the stock spare tire location? If not, what are my options for a spare tire mount? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you have a trailer hitch, it wont fit, if you dont have one, then it should fit.

Oh and good choice of tire, thats what i have and have loved them...just wish my 31's were 33's ;)

i personally am not a fan of the BFGs. a friend had them on his tacoma and they wore down very fast, also they're pretty expensive. check out Michelin XCX APT, i have them and they're great. dont get me wrong, the BFG is a good tire, but i think the michelin is a better deal for the money.

31 * 10.50

blluebear said:
I have been looking at new tires and was thinking about going with the 31x10.50x15 for my Mountaineer. Brand being the BFG's in the A/T TKO's. Will this tire fit in the stock spare tire location? If not, what are my options for a spare tire mount? :confused:

THEY SHOULD FIT. I HAVE A 96 FORD EXPLORER AND I BOUGHT MY TIRES OFF A FRIEND WHO HAD THAT SIZE TIRES ON HIS DURANGO. I PUT IT ON MY EXPLORER WITH NO LIFT AND IT FITS FINE.
HOPE IT WORKS OUT. NOT SURE WHAT THAT OTHER GUY IS TALKING IN REGARDS TO THEM NOT FITTING IF YOU HAVE A HITCH. I HAVE A HIDDEN HITCH AND MY ARE STILL FINE.
ADAM

well i have a hitch, and i know for a fact that it wont fit on my truck, your hitch may be diffrent.....

P.S. Dont post in all caps, its considered yelling ;)

adamv15 said:
THEY SHOULD FIT. I HAVE A 96 FORD EXPLORER AND I BOUGHT MY TIRES OFF A FRIEND WHO HAD THAT SIZE TIRES ON HIS DURANGO. I PUT IT ON MY EXPLORER WITH NO LIFT AND IT FITS FINE.
HOPE IT WORKS OUT. NOT SURE WHAT THAT OTHER GUY IS TALKING IN REGARDS TO THEM NOT FITTING IF YOU HAVE A HITCH. I HAVE A HIDDEN HITCH AND MY ARE STILL FINE.
ADAM

hey bro i am not sure if you read the first post but he said spare tire not on the truck that is why the guy was referring to the hitch

I have not yet decided on which tire I will buy yet. Of course, the Big O dealer is trying to convince me to go with the Big Foot A/T's at $650 plus tax. Ouch! I have not seen any threads about this tire. I am concerned if it will fit in the original spare tire location with a hitch installed. I have been looking at the Hidden Hitch. Some hitches are made to accept the 16" spare. Wouldn't that take care of the hitch problem?

I want to thank everyone for their ideas on the matter.

i realyl doubt it would fit even with the hidden hitch, but i am not sure, i know that my stock spare was jammed between the hitch and the end of the spare tire holder

i also remember stico used to have a bald 32 under his truck, but he didnt have a hitch.....

I've got a 31" BFG as my spare, better than 50 percent tread on it and it fits fine under there, don't see why a new one wouldn't fit.

i think someone squeezes a 33 under there truck it hung down really low with the BL...and they had to modify the well a little but it fit(barily).

Back