• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug Gap

trump

Reaction score
City, State
Monongahela,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
This is my first post. I don't know if this questioned has been covered in a previous post.

I have a 05 Explorer with the 4.0 V6 K (flex)
I replaced the plugs with Autolite Iridiums
The owners manual has the gap listed at .054 and the service manual has it at .064 I gapped them at .054 but it doesn' seem to be running good.
What is the correct gap and has anyone else tried these plugs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed the Autolite iridiums too. Mine's running fine. Gap them at 0.054".

I replaced the spark plugs with autolite double platinum and the engine started hesitating and I noticed a loss of power, it's more noticible when I step hard on the gas and it starts hesitating. I gapped the plugs at 54 like it says on the hood decal. The plugs I replaced had a gap of 65 up to 80, and it was running fine. Should I check the gap again? I replaced the fuel filter 3 weeks ago at the dealer.

You might have a wire starting to go bad, or upon removal, it broke internally. Misfires under load are usually indicative of a bad wire, or a failing coil. Do the wires first and see if that takes care of it. Get a good set though...The cheap "value" lines are junk. Carquest, NAPA, or even factory Motorcraft wires are all about the same price, and are of excellent quality.

If money is no object, there's no better wire set than Magnecor. I'm looking into getting a set for mine when I feel they need to be replaced. I had them on my race car, and they're awesome.

For a daily driver, this might be gross overkill though...The OEM Motorcraft wires are just fine and will last 100,000 miles or better ususally.

Edit: Maybe I'll just stick with the Motorcraft wires...I priced the Magnecor wires, and they offer two styles. The 8mm OEM style retails for $109, and the KV-85 8.5mm race set sells for $142.
They weren't that expensive for my 3800 V6...I think I paid $75 for that set of KV-85s

Back