• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plug install

kylecolb

Reaction score
City, State
Oshkosh, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Well, I have never really done my own work on any of my trucks before, I'm 22, the previous two trucks were beaters, so I don't really know how to do a lot of stuff engine-wise...

I have been looking on this forum, on how to change the spark plugs in my 02 Ex 4.0 V6 and can't find any threads on this. I am at 98,x.. miles and think the truck is due for new plugs. Manual says to replace somewhere around 100k miles so I am want to do them now before winter. I know autozone sells the plugs that are already set and they lend out spark plug sockets. My questions are: How do I get to the plugs? How do I change them? Anything else need to be done when changing plugs?

Are there any step by step picture threads around? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I have never really done my own work on any of my trucks before, I'm 22, the previous two trucks were beaters, so I don't really know how to do a lot of stuff engine-wise...

I have been looking on this forum, on how to change the spark plugs in my 02 Ex 4.0 V6 and can't find any threads on this. I am at 98,x.. miles and think the truck is due for new plugs. Manual says to replace somewhere around 100k miles so I am want to do them now before winter. I know autozone sells the plugs that are already set and they lend out spark plug sockets. My questions are: How do I get to the plugs? How do I change them? Anything else need to be done when changing plugs?

Are there any step by step picture threads around? Thanks

I do not know the 4.0, but please take this the right way when I say that replacing 100K mile plugs on an engine with aluminum heads would not be close to the first job I would recommend someone not very familiar with engines doing for an early learning experience.

As a matter of fact, and again, my intentions are pure (to save you heartache, expense, signifcant cost of the correct tools added to your storage closet, and possibly a wasted day with busted knuckles), I would not even recommend changing the oil to an inexperienced mechanic.

Now I am no expert and am not trying to bust your chops, but I will say "ask me how I know". ;)

I do not know the 4.0, but please take this the right way when I say that replacing 100K mile plugs on an engine with aluminum heads would not be close to the first job I would recommend someone not very familiar with engines doing for an early learning experience.

As a matter of fact, and again, my intentions are pure (to save you heartache, expense, signifcant cost of the correct tools added to your storage closet, and possibly a wasted day with busted knuckles), I would not even recommend changing the oil to an inexperienced mechanic.

Now I am no expert and am not trying to bust your chops, but I will say "ask me how I know". ;)

No offense taken at all.
I am not sure how hard of a job this would be. Someone told me to save the trouble and do it myself. I would rather have a mechanic do it if you say not to try this as a first job and save myself the headache.

I appreciate the advice.

No offense taken at all.
I am not sure how hard of a job this would be. Someone told me to save the trouble and do it myself. I would rather have a mechanic do it if you say not to try this as a first job and save myself the headache.

I appreciate the advice.

Others may chime in and disagree with me, so stay tuned.

Do you know if the 4.0 used coil over packs on the individual plugs or not, and whether or not the fuel injector log interferes with their removal? Do you own a torque wrench and a good socket set with all the extensions/etc?

Not saying you cannot do it (heck, I don't even know you:p:) but have you pulled and repalced plugs on a 100K mile engine with aluminum heads before?

Others may chime in and disagree with me, so stay tuned.

Do you know if the 4.0 used coil over packs on the individual plugs or not, and whether or not the fuel injector log interferes with their removal? Do you own a torque wrench and a good socket set with all the extensions/etc?

Not saying you cannot do it (heck, I don't even know you:p:) but have you pulled and repalced plugs on a 100K mile engine with aluminum heads before?
I have all the tools except the plug socket. I have read that on the '02's, 4 of the 6 plugs are easily accessible, but 2 plugs need to have a tube removed to access. Not sure if I would want to really mess with all that yet.

2 plugs need to have a tube removed to access. Not sure if I would want to really mess with all that yet.

Ah, the dreaded miscellaneous "tube". :eek:

I'm guessing someone that is proficient with 4.0s will happen by and answer your questions far better than I could ever do.

Best of luck.:thumbsup:

Back