• Register Today It's free!

spark plug

KC7ZHM

Reaction score
City, State
VANCOUVER ,WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 EXPLORER
say what are the best spark plug to run in 96 v-8 explorer???

over

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

iridium spark plugs.

autolite or motorcraft platinum, or double platinum if you want to spent a little more. i also suggest you change the plug wires with the plugs.

NGK Laser Iridium. They have the fine tip iridium, but they have also a platinum disc laser-welded on the ground strap. Because your year Ford ignition (all the way up to models with coil-on-plug) fires reverse sparks in 1/2 plugs, there will be ground strap erosion if you don't have that platinum on ground.

PS: That's why original plugs are dual platinum. Actually in the first models, Ford had single platinum on 1/2 plugs and double platinum on the reverse spark plugs and there was a note not to change locations of those plugs. That was to hard to follow and they decided to go dual platinum everywhere.

X2^^, NGK Laser Iridium.

Autolite Double platinums are OE. Just stay away from copper plugs or gimmick plugs like E3, any split fire or bosch +4.

I use autolite XP iridium plugs. They don't do anything better or differently from any other plug, but they last 100k+ miles

well that that its NGK Laser Iridium. or autolite XP iridium plugs. most people say autolite in a ford, I like NGK, I have to flip a coin. I didn't know I had reverse spark on the x,
I have a 1981 Honda 900f that has reverse sparks on 2 spark plugs and the ground strap
would wear real bad, i'll have look into running double platinums plugs.

thanks guys

NGK Iridium.

I've moved over to them for the Mondeo and the BMW as well as the X.

Well.... I removed the original Autolites at 195,000 miles and 6 of 8 still looked good. I put Autolites back in, don't expect to change them again.

Well.... I removed the original Autolites at 195,000 miles and 6 of 8 still looked good. I put Autolites back in, don't expect to change them again.

It's funny how that happens. I had an Australian made Falcon that just would not wear out plugs but my brother's BMW demands a new set every about 10,000 kms.

Actually, since he changed to NGK Iridiums it's been doing ok so far.

Probably the Falcon had the old distributor system, not the "waste spark" one that reverse spark on 1/2 cylinders.

Googling seems that Falcon '93 it still had distributor in Australia.
Like I said, distributor ignition systems are not reverse spark... only the distributor-less ones.

Googling seems that Falcon '93 it still had distributor in Australia.
Like I said, distributor ignition systems are not reverse spark... only the distributor-less ones.

Good to know. That was a good, reliable engine I'd like to have one in an Explorer.
But that distributor is a real ******* to get to.

Back