• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs and wires

fig

Reaction score
City, State
LI New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 eddie Bauer Explorer
I've been calling around(summit, Jegs, etc.) about spark plugs wires for my truck. I would like the MSD 8.5 heli's or the JBA wires. Does anyone know the part number for the late 1997 5.0. or what you may have used. No one seems to have them listed in there parts catalogue. I've seen the thread by Pasquale and he recommends the JBA wires with Bosch +4's. Would like help and to hear your opinions.

I will be ordering the TM's headers Monday so Would change the plugs and wires while i'm at it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bosch platinums are a lot of bullcrap hype especially the Platinum 4's. I have never heard anything good said about them on this site. A few years back I asked my mechanic to install them and he said they were junk.

Stick with Motorcraft Double Platinum they have a 100% approval rating on here. If you want to be a little more exotic try Denso Iridium plugs- not sure they are better than Motorcraft though.

i have the denso and i like them i dont have a side by side with the motorcraft plugs but motorcraft is ford stuff so most people here are going to like it ;) . i love my denso plugs.

Plugs

Thanks for all of your input. I pasted the thread that Pasquale post.(maker of Torque Monster Headers has to say.

Plan Carefully. Once you wonder far from the theme of what the Explorer/Mountaineer 302 is, the more you will need to go custom parts. Start by purchasing a Ford Racing Parts Catalog. There is a mountain of parts that will work with your vehicle without having to have custom pieces to make the aftermarket items work.

You have to keep in mind that GT40 & GT40-P heads have a slightly different bolt location on the exhaust ports than the earlier ('95 and older mustang) 302 heads. Ford moved the bolt holes up slightly on the exhaust port and the ports are more rounded.

Most aftermarket heads (AFR, Edelbrock, Dart, etc.) utilize the earlier bolt pattern.

If you absolutely must have aluminum heads, then Ford Racing makes a very nice GT40 "Turbo Swirl" aluminum head, P/N M-6049-Y303. They also make a GT40 EFI Intake manifold (M-6001-A50) and you can utilize the 1" spacer (M-9486-A53) between the upper and lower intake to give a little more of the ram induction effect of yor. With a wise choice of cam and Torque Monster Headers, you would probably be in the 350+ hp range easily, with just fuel injection.

If you opt for iron heads, stay with the GT40 heads you have. They're actually a very good head and work very well with the truck configuration of the Explorer/Mountaineer. The difference in performance between GT40 and GT40-P heads is nominal.

Here's a canned list of standard Ad-Ons I usually give people when they ask, "What else can I add besides Headers?"

Standard Add-Ons:

8 - Bosch Spark plugs, Platinum +4, PN 4458
* 8 - JBA Spark Plug (Ignition) Wires, PN 06239

* 2 - MSD, Ford Coil Pack, 4-Tower, PN 8241
* 1 - MSD Digital Dis-4 Plus, PN 62152

Your Choice on which way you want to go with your intake:
* K&N Air Filter replacement in stock system.
* K&N Air Filter cone element on end of stock system.
* MAC Air Intake replacement for entire stock unit.

* 16 - Ford Racing, Roller Rocker Arms, PN M-6564-B351
* 1 - Ford Racing, EFI Heat Spacer, 1" thick, Fits between upper and lower manifolds to help dissipate heat and significantly increase performance. PN M-9486-A53

* 1- Reprogram your computer/engine management system. Contact your favorite chip company or "bamachips.com" for your needs.

* Exhaust system from the CATs to the rear bumper. Your choice, many ways to do it. If you have more than 100,000 miles on the vehicle, replace the catalytic converters. Order from Ford.

All the items listed, along with Torque Monster Headers, should give you about 50-60 hp over stock without going into the internals of the motor.

Just a little food for thought. All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :burnout:

How can you tell if its stock or modified?

Back