Spark Plugs: Platinum vs. Platinum +(2,3,4) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs: Platinum vs. Platinum +(2,3,4)

frickea86

Rust? You mean character!
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
Hey guyz, soon i wana change the spark plugs in the red x. I was wondering if its even worth the money to spend on the Bosch Platinum 2 or to go the extra mile and get the Platinum +4. If u don't know what i mean, the +2 and +4 means how many heads are on the spark plug or grounding points. Or should i say screw Bosch and stay with Motorcraft(stock). Also, Does Motorcraft make any like the Bosch Platinum +2. Any help is greatly appreciated...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just stick with a set of Motorcraft Double Platinums or even a Autolite double platinum.. Make sure you get some good wires though.. Around 8mm.

Your gonna waste your money if you go with the +4's. I had them in my explorer for years and never noticed anything. I use good old stock syle motorcraft plugs now and when I changed back to them, I noticed no difference between the +4's and motorcraft. I was told also once that the spark will always travel the path of least resistane so with 4 electrods, the spark will only use one of them.

i use the platinum +2. For the sake of "just in case" they do actually work better. They arent expensive like the +4. People also say the 4 electrodes "block" the spark and limit combustion, so the +2 is a good median because it doesnt block it...

either go motorcraft or go +2, i doubt you'll notice a difference with any plug you put in, but id imagine that the +2 will last longer; if the sparks follows least resistance, then after one wears a little the spark will go to the other, hence keeping a good spark for twice as long as a single electrode.

thanks guyz for the info, i've already replaced the wires with 8mm, but i was just wondering about the sparkplugs, so i'll stay with motorcraft. I didn't think there was a diff. but i wanted to see if it would give me anything more.

have u guyz heard anything negitive about the bosch plugs?

theres "rumors" of the exlectrodes comming off the +4's and ruining engines.. though i personally dont believe it. And i work with an few ASE Master Mechanics who have been in the field for years upon years and havent heard such a thing.

But i NEVER came across any rumors like that for the +2s.

cool thanks for the info, i'm gona stick with the motorcraft sparkers...:D

good idea.... cant go wrong with motorcraft;)

BTW: let me know when you're gonna do a lift and want to be showed around the NJ Pines

Originally posted by sk1er17
good idea.... cant go wrong with motorcraft;)

BTW: let me know when you're gonna do a lift and want to be showed around the NJ Pines

cool man, thankx for the offer...:cool:

i have the +4's couldent be happier with them

Back