BOSCH +4 platinum plugs $ ACCEL performance cables | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BOSCH +4 platinum plugs $ ACCEL performance cables

andruxa

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 530iA TiAg
What ya guys think about the following?

Time came to change spark plugs, thinking of putting in Platinum BOSCH +4 (Do not gap ones), these are the ones that have 4 legs instead of one and do not need to be gapped... Canadian Tire sells the plugs for 17.99 CND/pair (11.99 US). While there, also looked at performance cable set, from ACCELL, universal fit for a 6 cylinder engine, for something like 57 CND (49 US)...

What are your thoughts on that setup? Any advantages/disadvantages? Hope that it would somewhat improve fuel economy and eventually pay for itself...

:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Many members have had problems running those plugs. I prefer staying with direct replacement Motorcraft plugs and wires.

There has been a lot of debate on the merits of the +4 plugs here. I personally don't think they are worth the extra $$$. I run regular platinum plugs in my X. Do a search on either "Bosch" or "+4" and you will come across all sorts of debates :)

I had problem with my +4's. Stick with the motorcraft platinum.

I ran Bosch +4 in my f-150
and in my 98GT Mustang... never had a problem at all... though you don't see power gains, they do make a difference in the highway and the smoothness of the motor... I personally like them alot, but I do tons of highway driveing.. but there are alot more bad than good stories out there..

I have them and have never had a problem. They seem to work great. Mine runs very smooth. Can't say it made much of a difference for the money. I got mine as a x-mas present, so I wasn't going to complain.

Pretty hard to beat Motorcraft Double platinum pligs. They have platinum on both the center electrode and the side electrode. Additionaly the + 4 design, IMO, will shield the spark with the other three side electrodes. If Ford could get more power, better mileage, Ect. from different plugs...they would.
They cant, so they didnt, so I stick w/Motorcraft.

Stay simple, I talked to MSD when I had the DIS4 ignition and they recommended the standard plugs and Jacobs says to stay with the same or old copper plugs. All the "Goodies" are gimmics to sell the plugs. I recently installed Bosc singles just to run something different in my new motor.:redexp:

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
Additionaly the + 4 design, IMO, will shield the spark with the other three side electrodes. If Ford could get more power, better mileage, Ect. from different plugs...they would.
They cant, so they didnt, so I stick w/Motorcraft.

Bill is dead on on both points. The more electrodes a plug has, the more the spark is shielded. Another thing to consider. Spark travles to the point of least resistance, therefore the more points it has to travle (4 vs 1 ground) the more chance it has of missfireing.
On the other point, manufacturers spend thousands of dollars and man hours in developing engines. These engines have to meet emissions, performance and longevity standards. Countless hours are spent on ignition efficiancy alone.

As a side note ( this is just an observation, I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes or start any arguements), I personally do not recomend running any type Bosch plugs. I have seen more running problems related to Bosch plugs more than any other brand.

Originally posted by mrboyle
I have seen more running problems related to Bosch plugs more than any other brand.

Exactly what my mechanice told me.

I wouldn't go with the Accel Universal fit cables for two reasons. I bought a set of those a few weeks ago....the kit didn't even include the correct number of the crimp on pieces that allow you to plug the wires into your ignition pack. so that I could complete the project. Secondly, those same pieces would not fit properly into my ignition pack, even after I spent waaaaayy too much time tweaking them. "Universal fit"...yeah right....I'd look for a custom fit wire set somewhere else....it would probably serve you better.

Just my 2 cents,

James

I have found that Jacobs wires work well.

I have ran bosch +4's in my old 92 and now in my 94. I didn't notice any difference and I don't think they are worth spending the extra money on them. I think they are just a gimmick. They have 4 electrodes and I beleive the spark will always take the path of least resistance and use only one anyway. I don't even know why I bought them. :rolleyes:

After all, I will shop around for a custom fit cable set, for now will stick with existing cables and plugs.

I've been running Bosch 2+ for a couple months. Biggest waste of $$$ I've every spent on the truck. I've had a rough idle for almost week, got home today and decided I had enough. Cleaned the MAS and the air filter, no result. Pulled the plugs and without a doubt, they were in horrible shape. #3 and #4 were the worst. Put some normal Autolite ones in, [ones I had in before] runs smoother than ever. Bosch=Bad news.

Back