• Register Today It's free!

Spark Plugs

sakirfp

Reaction score
City, State
Forsyth GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 XLT 4.6
I am getting ready to change my spark plugs and wires in my ST XLT. Does anyone have any tips or recommedations that I might need to know about before I change them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use Motorcraft or Autolite plugs. The Ford ignition system does not get along well with multiple electrode plugs. In other words, the Bosch +4's that Auto Zone will try to sell you will foul and begin to run like crap after a few thousand miles. I can go into greater detail about why if you like but basically you do not want a 2 or 4 electrode plug.
Change the wires one at a time so you don't get them mixed up.
Wires need to run parallel to each other OR cross at a 90* angle so that they don't cross fire.
Driver's side is easy, the middle and rear plugs on the passenger side are best done by removing the tire and going in through the fenderwell.
Put two dabs of anti-sieze on the threads of each plug 180* apart. Just a pinch is enough.
Dielectric grease inside the plug boots will make them easier to get off the next time also. The plug wires will probably come with a small packet of it.
I'm partial to NAPA plug wires. Good quality and don't cost an arm and a leg. If you belong to AAA and show the NAPA store your card you will get 7% off.

Thanks about the tips for the middle and rear plug. That is the kind of stuff I was looking for..

I had heard on some car show about some plugs that are in the ford v8s that break when you take them out because they are two pieces plugs. I wanted to make sure they are not in the ST.

Thanks for the info about NAPA and AAA. Thats where I usually go and had no idea I could a discount with my AAA card!:thumbsup:

I had heard on some car show about some plugs that are in the ford v8s that break when you take them out because they are two pieces plugs. I wanted to make sure they are not in the ST.

Your Trac is a V6 and uses normal plugs. There are no issues with them breaking.
I have heard that Ford came up with a special tool to remove the V8 plugs. The problem comes when you leave them in for a few years and 100,000 miles, which the manual tells you to do, and they get frozen in there. Change them at 50,000 or so and put some anti-seize on and it's not a problem. But then if you've ever seen an F-250 or 350 with a 5.4 or V10 your first thought will be "how the hell do you get to the plugs in the back half of the motor?". :scratch:

J--- Thanks on those details..I have negelected changing the plugs on both of my ST and EXP xlt V8. The V8 is my wifes, so when I change those plugs I need to get it right the first time because she will be made if I tell her I broke a plug and not here truck will not run for a few days till I get the plug out. Is there thing on the v8 I could spray on the plug to maybe help it break loose before I attempt to take out the v8 plugs on the xlt.

I don't think it would hurt to spray some PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench around the spark plugs first and let it sit for a while. Also don't try to remove them until the engine is stone cold. Check with a GOOD parts store like NAPA and see if they maybe have a special socket for the V8 plugs. That said, they might come out with no problems. I did them on the 4.6L Mecury my uncle has, it has conventional plugs, and it was a slam dunk.

The main issue I have with changing spark plugs is getting the boots off without breaking them because the arthritis in my hands is getting worse and I just don't have a lot of grip strength any more. Upside, new plug wires are a lot cheaper than they used to be.

Back