• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Bass/Sub Bass

TJM623

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Ok, I was talking to some people and telling them how my bass sounds great, but the speakers are ****. And the common reply is turn down the bass to the speakers and up for the subs on the HU, I don't have a feature like this. OR at least i don't think so. When i scroll through the options on the HU it's Bass Treble Fade Balance Loud. The amp has controls on the back of that 2 but those are already put to where I want them, so what is everyone talking about?? Here's my HU http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027127&pathId=54

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your headunit doesn't have a crossover. It also only has one set of RCAs.
If you turn down the bass on the headunit, then you'll lose input voltage to the sub amp.

Your best options are one of three things and they all cost some $.

1. Get a new head unit with internal crossovers and a RCA sub out. You can then filter out the bass to the speakers and leave it going to the subs. Panasonic has a couple of inexpensive models for under $225. I installed one for my sister and was impressed for the price ($202 from Sounddomain.com)

2. Get a 2 or 4 channel amp for your mids/highs. Get one that has internal crossovers and a pass-thru channel (most do). You can then plug the sub amp unto the pass-thru, and the multichannel amp into the headunit.

3. Get a new headunit and mid/high amp.

hmmm not one of those ideas is sounding to good to me LOL. I just bought the HU like a week ago, so getting a new one is a no no. Will putting new speakers make it better, or will those just sound less the decent because of the bass settings on my headunit?? I'm trying to stay away from spending that much more money, after speakers i'm done with my audio, the rents are getting on me for not saving my money :(

Dose your bass have vocals and other music in it or is it just a thump. If so get an external crossover. These are cheap.

The cheapest route is bass blockers. Get one for each speaker. Bass Blocker

This isn't an upgrade, but rather a fix for the problem. Less $$ though.

now that will work :D I'll pick myself up some of those when I get new speakers, I could care less if I blow the stock ones seeing as I'll throw them out when i get new ones neways. I'm assuming Radio Shack or ne store like that would have these?

my friend was having the same problem with his speakers... he bought better mids and highs but since there was no way to set the frequencies going to them it made absolutely no difference. and the bass blockers... alteast the ones he got are absolutely worthless. the didn't make a damn bit of difference because there was still too much bass at higher frequencies screwing the mids and highs up. u need to buy a crossover for them or yer throwing $$$ away for not even marginal improvement. without the crossover to take all the bass away and still have the bass up on yer headunit. u need one. my friend spent over a $150 for no reason cuz it didn't help him. i myself bought a focal component system from a guy... guy paid $450 for 2 speakers and 2 tweeters. sold it to me for $225, anyways hooked them up to my old cd player. didn't work worth a $h!t cuz i couldn't controll what frequencies were going to them. it doesn't matter how much u spend on speakers if they aren't setup right. so then i got a cd player that has the equalizer and crossover built in and not only did it solve my problem it made my 2 factory ones in the back sound great. so to solve yer problem u really need to get the crossover for it. wether its yer factories or aftermarket it makes all the difference.

well if i don't hook speakers up to amp do the crossovers have to still be hooked up to the amp?? cause amp is in cubby hole and the speakers are up front obviously...i don't want to have to run wireing

your factories are only being powered off the head unit right? either way i've never done an external crossover for mids and highs so i honestly don't know exactly whats involved. i simply bought a head unit that had it built in so it saved me the trouble. someone else will have to help u out on that. i do know without it u won't solve yer problem. i wish i could help u out more. jus keep bumpin the thread or something someone has to know and id like to know myself cuz my friends mids and highs sound like crap.

well the speakers are being powered off my stock amp, but when i by aftermarket speakers i'm planning on bypassing the amp so i can use the internal one on the HU, thanks for the crossover suggestion I'm sure someone will help me/you out

hiridin, your crossover inside of your cd player is the same thing as an external crossover. Just one is electrical vs physical. Top of the line speakers come with a cross over but your talking about hundreds to thousands for a pair of speakers.
Or you can try building them
http://www.carstereo.com/help/cust_cr.cfm

<<<<this man right here will being doing absolulety *spelling* no building of crossovers lol, I'm talented enough at screwing things up that don't have to do with electronics, Thanks for the idea though. Looks like, my best idea is gonna be to buy a set of crossovers, should i get them for the back only?? or for the front?? or both?? and do they need to be powered to my amp or what or is it a matter of running the speaker through it and then hooking the crossover up to the speaker wire in the doors?

I think your best bet would be to buy a 4 way amplifier to power your speakers that has a built in crossover, that way your getting amplification in addition to your cross overs and you don't have to rebuy a new hu.

It's really not that bad, for a simple high pass filter use the site I provided to find out a capacitor value to wire inline with the speaker(s). hmm proper capacitors care of radio shack= .75cents, bass blockers (capacitors) online $20... not a hard decision.

http://www.bcae1.com/passxovr.htm

Your best bet is probably to bypass the factory amp. It sounds muddy, and the low end frequencies are way to amplified. Bypass it, and run off the HU amp, and it will sound a lot better. When you buy aftermarket speakers you may want to consider a cheaper 4 channel with a built in high pass x-over.

Back