Bass Blocker/Speaker Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bass Blocker/Speaker Questions

96s281

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I did an extensive search and got some good answers to most of my questions, but I'm left with some specific ones that hopefully you can help me with.

My issue is this...I'm replacing all 4 of my stock 5x7's with 6.5's (non-component, just straight speakers). I don't know whether or not I will need bass blockers for them. I have a 10" Kicker sub being run off a 2 channel amp, and I plan on just using my Excelon HU to run the speakers.

The Excelon has Front and Rear High Pass Filter options built in, as well as Non-Fading Low Pass Filter and Non-Fading Phase options. I honestly never knew what these options were for before doing a little research.

I'm assuming b/c I have this option through my HU that I won't need bass blockers? The HU, if set correctly, will pretty much act as my bass blockers for the door speakers, correct?

If so, what level should I set the filters so that no bass hits them? The options are:Through/40/60/80/100/150/180/220 Hz.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say to buy them anyway. They help protect your speakers from producing harmful low frequencies. I'm pretty sure that 40-200 hz are bass settings, i just usually play with my head unit to get everything perfect. If you don't have tweeters you may want to buy some of them too.

don;t bother with the bass blockers, especially if you are using the factory wiring, as it limits the bass range anyway. just set your speakers (not the sub) on a high pass filter for around 150Hz, i personally have my HPF set at 100Hz for more bass definition.

if you haven't already phased your speakers thats what your phase switch is for, it's just an easier way of switching the wires.

also if you have the option on the amp or head unit i'd put a low pass filter on your sub so it doesn't receive any frequencies above roughly 250Hz.

The factory wiring won't actually limit anything at all until you get to around 350 watts. So, you're good there. With head unit power, you could likely get away with running the 6.5's full range, but since you do use a subwoofer, go ahead and cut them off. I would start at 80hz and listen. Then move up (setting your lowpass the same point so you don't end up with any gaps). Keep it where you like the sound the best. being lower powered on the mains, I'd guess you'll like 100 or 150 like the previous poster mentioned. You'll get your midbass kick from the sub. If you ever decide to amp the mains, lower the crossover point a bit for better imaging at the driver's seat.

The factory wiring won't actually limit anything at all until you get to around 350 watts.

i must disagree, while most people won't be able to tell i difference i can assure you there is one.

If I was going to upgrade to some nice big dollar headunit, I would just run some nice quality 16 gauge speaker wire. More fun than just connecting to the factory harness.

My Explorer has stock headunit, and stock wiring...

My Paseo has aftermarket headunit, aftermarket amps, 16 gauge speaker wire...

I added bass blockers to all 4 speakers. I am running a kenwood headunit, Jensen 5x7s and a 10" Kenwood sub powered by an MTX amp. The sound was distorted quite a bit as the volume went up, the sound is much cleaner as the sub provides enough bass. My headunit lets me set the HPF and LPF where I want, which I did, but the bass blockers helped too. It sounds better than stock, but there is still room for improvement. Which can probably be solved by better speakers powered by an amp, not the headunit. But this setup sounds good to me and others that have been inside my truck.

Dan

i must disagree, while most people won't be able to tell i difference i can assure you there is one.

Well, depending on the year/model, I'll recant my stance. I'm still thinking of my GT, but my older Fords did have smaller, inadequate wiring. My '06 Mustang had 16ag from the factory. It worked quite well. Smaller could possibly choke a decent system. I do really like the flexibility of good wire, though.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm doing my speakers today and I guess I'll play around with the settings to see what sounds the best. I just wasn't sure if the HPF should've been lower or higher.

Lots of good info here though. Thanks again!!

OK, the speakers are in, but I don't think my HU is accurately controlling the High Pass Filters for the speakers :(

From what I can hear, it doesn't sound as if the speakers are louder than the stock ones at all. If anything, they crackle a little more. I remember something in another thread that people often play with the settings on any set of new speakers, but I'm not exactly sure what else to play around with (haha, I know) other than the normal bass/treble settings.

Keep in mind, all 4 speakers are being run off my HU, not an amp. I though I could pick up a little more volume by swapping them with the stock ones -- was I wrong about that?

Usually, aftermarket speaker will require more power than the cheap factory ones. I haven't seen a head unit with a truly capable onboard amp yet, but I've heard that some manufacturers are experimenting with Class D to try and alleviate that.

Back