Speaker Size in '95 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speaker Size in '95

Reaction score
City, State
Durham, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4X4
Hi guys I was wondering what the speaker size for the front/rear speakers are in my '95 XLT 4-door.. i wasnt sure if this should go here or in the general one but i figure here cause i wanna put a nice stereo in.. im not sure on what exactly, i want some decent speakers that have good high volume quality, and that dont blow to easily.. looking to spend oh roughly $500 or less on the 4 speakers.. any suggestions? also i didnt just pull off the door panels and look because i have had some VERY bad experiences with 'ghetto' (you could call it) car stereo installations,also I was thinking about having someone who actually knows what they're doing install it. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

6X8 are a direct bolt in or you can use 6X9 also....
i replacd all 4 on my 1995. farily easy...

I bought 6X8 Pioneer..

www.crutchfield.com -- put in your information and they'll tell you. But I believe it's 6x8. More than often, when you turn up the head unit and the speakers start to sound like they're gonna fade (if these are stock speakers) its usually because the stock speakers can't handle the power of the head unit. I would get an aftermarket head unit (good range for H.U.'s are 27x4RMS is a good head unit - Panasonic makes one that handles 60 watts RMS) and door speakers (door speakers should range from 35-60 watts RMS). Good luck

-Drew

thanks for the info.
currently i dont have anything installed (no head unit) and i really wasnt planning on it (i have the 6-cd changer and its good), but will i need to? id think that stock HU would work with the new speakers.
thanks again! now i can go price speakers.... :)

if your gonna spend 500 bucks on speakers i would get some component speakers. (with the midbass driver and tweeter with a cross over) i think they only come in round speakers, which you can get adapter plates for to make em fit your X. ive also heard round speakers distort less.............
as for pricing ive seen componenets anywhere from 175 to 500 and up range for a set of 2.

Your aftermarket additions are only going to be as good as the source. You can slap $1000 top of the line components on the stock deck, and guess what? You'll just get the same sound - the stock maximum capability.

Look for high efficiency 5x7 or 6x8 speakers if you wish to keep the stock deck.

davidmmm69 said:
6X8 are a direct bolt in or you can use 6X9 also....
i replacd all 4 on my 1995.

6 x 8 is the stock size and 5 x 7 will direct fit. 6 x 9 do not fit without modification.

i guess mine were a little differnet then... because 6X8 fit without any modifications at all..
but before i replaced them all i did put one new one in the front which blew and all i had was 6X9 and it was a tight fit but it did fit.

a 5x7 and a 6x8 are actually the same exact speaker size its just that a 6x8 has an extra hole on the mounting frame to adapt to certain vehicles. Pioneer called it a 6x8 to stand out when they added a different mount hole. Which is why there is now 6x8s

Thanks for all the repiles I guess 6x8's are the way to go :)
thanks again!

Back