Specific Front End Clunk

DAL

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
Greetings all !

My problem is as follows: When one or the other front wheel articulates through its vertical motion (individually), I get a clunk in the floor boards of the vehicle. When both wheels move up and down through the suspension travel simultaneously (as in over a speed bump), there is no clunk.

Things I have done which have each individually improved the problem some are as follows:
1) Replaced lower balljoints (they were severely worn)
2) Replaced shocks (they were shot and the upper mount bushings were hard and ovalized from movement in the upper mount)
3) Replaced Torsion bar adjusters (the kevlar patches were completely shot on both arms)

I am still getting the 'clunking noise' although it has been reduced. A well respected alignment and suspension shop looked at the upper balljoints, the upper and lower control arm bushings, tie rod ends as well as the notorious sway bar end links. They all checked out OK.

Any suggestions ????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same for me

Got auto hubs? mine do that.

Stock 96 EB

My 96 is completely stock. The the 4 wheel drive system is electronically controlled. Pre 95 explorers had automatic locking hubs of the variety your X has. Mine are different, but thanks for your note. I appreciate you taking your time to offer your advice.

When you lift one wheel, one side of the sway bar rises. Your sway bar end links are ok, but what about the mounts? Are they tight? They do wear out / get sloppy.

Only other immediate thoughts are the front differential bolts that mount the diff to the frame. A rise of one wheel would put a twisting motion on that. That would produce a solid clunk.

Ever done any diff work?

well it sounds like you've spent a good amount of time under the chassis inspecting so I wouldn't think you'd have missed anything too obvious like sway bar links or dry bushings although that's what it would seem like to me because of the noise only being with independent suspension flex. If you have the stock links on the sway, check them out real good b/c the links have a hard plastic sleeve around the actual bolt that could be hiding a fracture and alot of the times they will look "ok" and still be bent or broke inside the sleeve. Also, I'd check the torsion bar adjusters (not the adjustment bolt, but the other end of the bar). Other suggestions: loosened control arm, inner-half shaft wear, front driveshaft binding, loose front differential, motor mount. Try applying WD40 or PB penetrate to a single bushing or joint at a time, then test the suspension on a curb or something that will make your suspension pop as it does right now. When you've applied the WD40 to the bad joint, bolt, or bushing, the pop should go away and you've effectively found the culprit, now fix it :D. If all joints are good then you're probably looking at a front differential or driveshaft problem. But my X is RWD so I know very little about front end differentials and such, I just know that you have one.
~stu

My guess would be the same as Exploded99's. Most of my clunking was caused bar the sway bar mounts.

Oh, one other thought. I had the worn out rear torsion bar pad problem on my x, and I would feel it in the floorboard when the torsion bars "popped" going over bumps

Being able to feel it in the floorboard points to the rear torsion bar mounts.

Pull your rear torsion bar covers, and spend some time checking ALL the bolts on your crossmember, including the ones for the tranny. Have heard of some people having troubles when those come loose.

Thanks to all for taking the time to reply to my post. All good advice and I'll try out the recommendations over the next few weeks and let all of you know how it went. Thanks again.

Back