Spedometer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spedometer

JamesK

Reaction score
Anyone know whats up with the spedometer jumping around at speeds of 65+ on my Explorer? Thanks for you help!!!

------------------
James K

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine does the same thing, at first it was only above 60mph, now its about all the time, I'm going to try replacing the speedometer gear since it needs to be changed anyways, maybe change the speedometer cable and see if that fixes it, if not I'll probably end up taking it to a speedo shop or something, its really annoying!

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

My speedo, is 5 mph off, and 1 tenth of a mile off on the odometer. 235/60's on it. Is there somewhere I can get a new gear so make the speedo register the correct speed and odometer reading?

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Dual 2.25 exhaust, no Mufflers
Drilled AirBox
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's
My Baby!!

A possible remedy for the jumping speedometer is lubricating the cable. I have never done it on my Explorer but usually you can just take the cable loose from the speedo end and put some graphite in it. Some models will allow you to remove the square inside part of the cable by pulling it from the speedo end. If you can do that, it should be easy to re-lube.

BTW James, Welcome to the site. We are not too far apart. I am about 2 hours from you, just south of Middlesboro. I went to college at EKU.

------------------
Ira
91 XLT 4x4

Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

[This message has been edited by Ira (edited 03-21-2000).]

James K,

What year is it? My '91 had a similiar problem. It turned out to be the output shaft flange from the transfer case. It was loose. This vibrated the assembly resulting in the speedometer cable not turning consistantly. In addition, my cruise control surged with the speedometer jumping. Do you have this problem as well?

Doug

Dr. Doug,

My Explorer is a 94 Eddie Bauer. I too have trouble when I set the cruise control. I'm gonna try to replace the speedo cabel this weekend, see if that helps. If not I'm just gonna replace the whole thing. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Oh yeah, Ira we aren't that far from each other. EKU huh? Go Colonels! But my roots are in Wildcat country. I'm into my third year at UK.

Jim Tymekeeper,

Have you done a "Search Forums" for speedo yet? There's plenty of talk about that. For your year it's simple. Your speedo cable goes into the side of either your tranny or transfer case. Unbolt the nut that holds it into the tranny or case, pull it out and get the plastic gear. Count the teeth and go to your Ford dealer Parts Dept with the info. You'll replace it with another gear with a different amount of teeth. One tooth equals about 3 mph.

Gerald

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 03-22-2000).]

Well I know I have a 19 tooth gear, and I need a 18 tooth, I went to my local ford dealer, and they wanted to "make" me a new gear. I didn't like that idea... so now I am looking for somewhere I can order one.

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Drilled AirBox
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's
My Baby!!

James,

If you are having problems with you cruise control, as you indicated, I would suspect that it is NOT the cable.

Do you have a vibration when you coast at highway speeds? If so, your problem, as I previously posted, is the output flange nut at the transfer case.

Drop the front drive shaft from the transfer case and you will see a bolt inside of the flange. Tighten this bolt to 280 foot pounds and this will fix the vibration, cruise control and the speedometer jumping!

Ford has a TSB on this repair as well. If you are interested in the TSB repair, e-mail me directly and I will forwarded you a copy via e-mail.

Doug

Jim, go to another Ford dealer. They don't need to "make" you one. I'll try to look up a part # for you Monday after you answer this next question.

Are you still on 15" rims? 235/60 sounds like a smaller than stock tire to me. So is your speedo reading 65 when you are going 60, or is it reading 60 when you are going 65? In other words are sure you need to DROP a tooth from 19 to 18? Maybe you need to ADD a tooth and go to 20 (or 21)?

Gerald

[This message has been edited by GJarrett (edited 03-26-2000).]

Doug,

Could you send that e-mail? That would be awsome man. Thanks for looking into this for me. I really appreciate it. My e-mail address is jkerley@ecampus.com. Thanks again.

------------------
James K
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
"Kickin Up Dust"

I have 15" rims, 235/60's instead of 235/75's, my speedo reads 65 when I'm doing 60. I'm also 1 10th a mile off on my odometer. It reads 1.1 mile after only a mile. What size gear do you think I need?

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Drilled AirBox
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's
My Baby!!

Jim, you need to add a tooth, not drop one.
Since one tooth is supposed to be equal to about 3mph you're probably going to have to decide to go to 21. If you are really reading a whole ten percent off, I'd go up to 21 instead of just 20; that should get you closer to correct.

And I repeat; go to another Ford dealer with a parts man who knows what a part is. Replacement gear are $9-$10 Ford items. You'll still have to take your original one with you when you go get a 21 tooth gear though because the shaft lengths can be different between models so he'll have to look at your gear to make sure it's replaced with one with the right shaft length.

Gerald

I just might have to do that, thanx Dead Link Removed
I was thinking abou that, yeah 21 teeth might just do the trick... Now if I could get my tach to work right, I'll be all set.

------------------
Jim
'92 Eddie Bauer Explorer
Drilled AirBox
Cobra 148GTL W/K40 Mag
235/60's
My Baby!!

I have the same problem with my CC after I set the CC I notice that it will surge or just drop off totally. Its almost as though the tranny is slipping, but thats already been overhauled....so any ide-ears? I have noticed that it has been detonating more than usual too..could be related...how difficult is it to set the timing..is this possible? I also have an exhaust question, I am in need of a new muffler/exhaust. Any recommendations...should I go for the performance exhaust and if I do how much more is it to do that than getting good quality OEM exhaust? Thanks for any help. Take Care....Griz.

speedo problem

I have a 94 xlt. My speedo bounces a lot at 55 mph. I bought a new cable for it and want to replace it. Can anyone give me a picture of where the cable bolts to the transfer case? Also, do I need a special lube for it? If so what should I get? Thanks again everyone!

Back