Speed bleeders

Hartman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0
Anybody use speed bleeders on their calipers? I'm about to replace my rear calipers and I figured it would be easy to pick up a set of these, that way I could replcae the calipers and bleed the brakes myself.

For those of you that don't know what they are, they replace your bleeder screw and allows you to bleed your brakes with one person.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have something like that. The one man brake bleeder system. It just a bottle with a magnet and a tube that goes to the bleeder screw. It's cake to do and it was like $5 or something.

I had my brake lines completely empty when I used it during my conversion. So it does the job.

But this speed bleeder sounds like its something different.

i tried those before, i personally didnt like them.

Why didn't you like them?

i used them on a 84 full size chevy wagon. i put them on when i replace the calipers and they fit perfect. but when i would pump the brakes to bleed the air out and tighten them up it would seem like i still had air in the line. a friend on mine helped me by pouring brake fluid into the master cylinder resivor (sp?), and we went through a full bottle.

i had him pump the brake slowly like your supposed to when bleeding the air out, and i watched the bleeders and they seemed to be letting air in still.

i took those out replaced them with the old style bleeders and was able to bleed them just fine.

i didnt take them back or anything i think it was about 9 years ago when i got them. i might have had bad set but i guess since the new age stuff didnt work out i just decided to stick with the old way of doing it.

sorry for the long post, but i got them when they first came out, i'm sure they have gotten better now just those back then didnt work for me.

Hartman- i tried those on my bronc when i swapped to discs and ran all new lines. like willie, i had trouble getting all the air out. i actually bled them over a period of several days. bleed several pints of fluid, drive, repeat. still had a tad bit of mush in the pedal. finally got pissed off, and threw the regulars back in. used the $5 Autozone bottle/magnet/hose, and they bled right the first try. go figure.

maybe i was doing something wrong, even though i have bled brakes about 50 times in my life... :confused:

OK maybe I should just go with a self bleeder kit from an auto parts store?

i got the Autozone one and its allways worked great. make sure you follow the directions (basically hang it above the bleeder).

Back