Speed Related Hum/Vibration - can't diagnose! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Speed Related Hum/Vibration - can't diagnose!

BonesDT

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Westchester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
Red '99 Sport SOHC 4x4
This awful hum maxes out at 38mph. It used to get worse at faster speeds, but now it's been peaking at 38.

I cannot tell if it's coming from the front or rear when I'm driving. A mechanic rode with me and thought it was definitely the front and it was the front diff. My girlfriend thinks it is the front too, but I think they might just be saying that because all sorts of things start rattling in the dashboard.

I pulled the front driveshaft, diff, and CV axles out, leaving just broken off CV ends to hold the front hubs together, so I ruled out the whole front drivetrain.

I had my rear driveshaft at pretty bad angles (not parallel single u-joint angles), but I corrected the angles, and the u-joints & driveshaft look ok visibly.

So here's what I can think of that's left:
1) Out of balance tires (however, I just had one balanced on a Hunter GSP9700 and I installed my spare tire and there doesn't seem to be a difference in noise)
2) Front End Alignment is def off (I tore apart the front suspension a bunch of times), but I don't see how this could make this kind of noise
3) Bad ball joints?
4) Front hub bearings?
5) Rear driveshaft (I removed the rear shocks and tried bouncing around to get a noise change, but wasn't really successful)
6) something in the rear axle

I was thinking about renting a u-haul 2-wheel car dolly tower, and then towing with the front up and towing with the rear up while I sit in the Ex and try to pinpoint at least whether the front or the rear is the problem. I could also definitely rule out the rear driveshaft by towing with it removed.

What could be making this noise? I'm going to install new shocks and lower ball joints today, but I'm afraid I'm going to ruin my new ball joints by driving around with such violent vibrations.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Just a thought...You could take it down to an alignment shop and get it diagnosed for free...:dunno:

...That may point you in a better direction for replacing parts...;)

tires can make some aweful noise if they are worn uneven or if they are misalligned, I would 1st try rotating front to back, or if you already have a another set mounted try them.

...Just a thought...You could take it down to an alignment shop and get it diagnosed for free...:dunno:

...That may point you in a better direction for replacing parts...;)

I have developed a very severe distrust for mechanics. I could go on for a while about all my bad experiences and flat out lies I've faced, especially with alignments.

I did go to an off-road shop and he was 90% sure it was the front axle, which it wasn't. He also over-torqued my wheel nuts to some astronomical number right after we had a lengthy discussion about the importance of not over-torquing them, he thought even the 100 ft-lbs I was doing was too much, he thought it should be 80. Now I have to replace the studs.

I'm actually thinking about going to ok4wd.com. They have a GSP9700 and apparently a state-of-the-art alignment machine, which specializes on lifted trucks with big tires.

They are 1 hour 45 mins away from me, so I want to make sure I install everything in the front end (ball joints, wheel bearings if necessary), before I get the alignment done.

I'm starting to think it might be the front wheel bearings. I have replaced the passenger side before, but that doesn't really mean anything. I just realized that the bearings are co-ed, so I could get one new bearing and just switch it to the left or right to figure out which side is bad. I'll pull both bearings today and check them out, maybe even swap the sides, maybe the noise will change. What's the best company replacement bearings?

It was the hub assembly.

Really tough to tell. I took it off and tried rotating it and it was a little stiff.

Replace it and the noise is gone! Those damn bearings.

Back