Speedometer after tranny swap

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I've got a problem. It may have been discussed before but I thought this situation was different...

Okay. We're dealing with a '92 XL, 4 door, 5 speed stick (M5OD) 4x2 with 3.27 differential gearing. The overdrive was blown in it since I bought it, and last weekend, we decided to install a good used transmission from another '92 4x2 Ex. So we put it all in and we used the truck's speedometer cable/gear. We didn't change it or anything.

I took it out for s trial spin on the freeway. I get up to 70 mph (according to the speedo) and the truck vibrates a bit. Hmmmm. Engine's doing about 2900 RPM which doesn't seem right at all. With the old transmission, 4th gear was about 3000 RPM. My 4x4 auto Limited with 3.73 does about 2500 RPM at 70, so this really didn't seem right. I floored the truck and got it to 80. I had the pedal to the floor and it wasn't going to go much faster. But in 4th with the old tranny I could get it far past 85.

The next day I checked it against my GPS, and indeed, my speedometer is slow. At the speed limit it's around 15-18 mph too slow. Like 55 mph on the speedo is 70. I have read about changing the drive gear in the transmission when using larger wheels/tires, but I haven't changed them. The transmission looks just the same, acts the same, and bolts up properly, and we used the truck's original gear.

What gives? And, what gear to I need to get from the dealer?

Try going to ford or autozone and asking for the OEM gear. I did a transmission change out exactly like yours in a 1994 XL 4X2 4 door (5 speed of course). What was the setup on the other explorer? that could have had different tires than yours, thus the speed difference. Also, verify that the speedometer and all are connected snugly, my speedometer would act up kind of like that and it was loose in the trans.

George

PS. feel free to contact me at monkeydude3@cs.com regarding anything on your truck, as it is extremely similar to mine. :)

Back