spindle nut converson | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

spindle nut converson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Short answer, yes, the dana 30, 35 and 44 spindle nuts (3 piece set) are interchangeable.

~Mark

yeah all i meant was the nuts not hubs. will be getting those seperatly

hi,i have manual hubs, they are tough,but hub nuts keep backing off.i will need to convert my hub nuts also.

hi,i have manual hubs, they are tough,but hub nuts keep backing off.i will need to convert my hub nuts also.

Are you saying your still running the stock style spindle nut for the auto hubs?

I've never heard of someone doing 1/2 a conversion, as in changing the hubs but not changing to the correct spindle nuts.

~Mark

Yeah the auto hub nuts don't fit inside of a manual hub (well, maybe if you grind the hex part down they would, but that's kindof hack IMO).

Tightening the outer locknut to 225-250 ft-lbs will stop them from loosening if you have the correct nuts for your manual hubs.

I am running the "Auto-shred" hub nuts on our 94 "X", with a manual lockout swap. I tightened them as per the book, then a touch more, since the little "keeper" didn't quite line up. No troubles in the better part of 8,000 miles to date, and that includes just about every type of driving. We use the "X" on the farm alot, so there is a good amount of 4wd being used, along with all of the high miles between towns, plus in town, etc.. I check them every oil change, and to date, no problems.
Basically, can you do it this way, yes. Should you??? Well, like opinions go.........

Back