Spindle question

biggs92EB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Biggs, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Special Eddie
Alright i just put new bearings in my 92 X yesterday when i got every thing down to the bone i seen that my axles wiggle inside of the spindle is there a bearing in there? also when i turn the axle it makes a ****ty sound, is this normal? i tried to unbolt the spindle but i couldnt budge it and not knowing what i was doing i didnt go any farther thanks for any info thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

also when in 4x4 the front end whines like a little girl, it just doesnt feel fluent at all, and while im asking questions should i pack my warn hubs with grease? i want this done right as im takin a long ride next week to the sand dunes of san luis obispo thanks guys

Yes there is a small bearing inside the spindle.
Yes the axle shaft will wobble around in there a little bit

Is the noise coming from the differential?

NO DO NOT pack grease into your hubs, this is a common mistake that can lead to hub failure!!

The hubs should be soaked in ATF while they are off, you should also click them in and out while they are full of ATF, then let them drip dry before re-installing.

Check the spindles for grooves or wear markings...

****ty Noise = not good

Anything else?

The bearing inside the spindle should be re-lubed with grease, youcan just press grease in there.

the spindle nuts should not be that difficult to break loose...........

ok i'll do the atf thing to the hubs glad i didnt listen to my mechanic. i got all of the nuts off of the spindle it just wouldnt come off, (just to make sure im calling the right part the spindle, its what the bearing ride on) the noise doesnt come from inside of the diff it sounds like inside of the spindle or maybe the u-joints hard to tell but it feels dryer than a popcorn fart inside that spindle how do i lube the little bearing ? also how do i get that spindle off without hurting it? thanks for the help james

spray the spindle (where it meets the knuckle, where the bolts you took off were) with some liquid wrench

You can knock it off, but use a piece of wood against the spindle, or use a rubber mallet

to grease the spindle bearing, just cleaan it up real good (with brake clean), let it dry, then press grease in with your finger tip, rotate bearing, repeat.

Its easier to do this with the spindle off.

Now I am guessing your U joints are toasted.

How long has it been since the front diff fluid was replaced (sucked out and re-filled)

You might want to think about replacing the U joints, Lube up the slip shaft on the pass side, and replace the inner axle seals (side of the pumkin)

Also now is a fantastic time to replace the ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, grease up the brake slide pins and do a brake pad slap on the truck.....

It gets expensive, but if you neglect the D35 its gonna need some work...........oh and remember how your Ex used to ride? It can be that way again......

thank you i appreciate the info and suggestions, i have already replaced all bushings, wheel bearings, brake pads and rotors, so i might as well keep going thanks again james

Awww cr#p!! I just had my spindles off and I kept thinking I was forgetting to grease something. I forgot to grease the bearings inside the spindle!!!!!!!!!!! I was just hearing a sound on one wheel the old sounds like an Ice skate. Bearings!! Oh well looks like this weekend I get to pull the spindles off and grease them up.

Back