sport trac v8 swap?

Kazer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Sneads Ferry, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Excursion PSD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What a waste.....

If you are going to do something like that, at least but an LSx in it.....THAT would impress people.

Any @$$hole with decent set of tools could drop a SBC into just about anything...It takes a LITTLE more thought to put an LS in there..

Ryan

how difficult is it to get a ls1 or 350 sbc to work with a stock wiring? would the ecu/pcm need to be flashed or something?

The Stock ECM can't be used for CoilOnPlug systems, as found on the LS. So you would have to integrate the body harness into the LS ECM..As for the SBC, it COULD be used fired up, and running on a Ford ECM, with the right parts installed, you could fool the Computer into thinking it's controlling a Ford Engine.

Ryan

Yeah, these have been around for a while. Don't know what happened to this truck. I have a spare 351W that would be fun to drop into the ST when the time comes, but I think a 5.0 would be a better choice.

Okay, instead of a sbc, do you know what all would be involved in swapping in a 2v 5.4 triton?

Okay, instead of a sbc, do you know what all would be involved in swapping in a 2v 5.4 triton?

the MOD motors are too wide too fit in the older Explorers.

the MOD motors are too wide too fit in the older Explorers.

ahh okay. i know for a fact they fit in 2002+ 4 doors. the engine compartment must be smaller in sports and sport tracs..

pre 2005 Sport Tracs and 01-03 Sports are just older Explorers with fresh sheetmetal, the underhood and mechanicals are same as pre 01 4doors. The 5.0 would work but since the 5.o was discontinued in 01 it was never installed in a Sport Trac and Sports never had the 5.0 as an option which sucks since it would have been perfect for it.

Back