Sport trans (5spd Auto) into an XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport trans (5spd Auto) into an XLT?

syn-

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt - wip
this is an idea I have been curious about since I learned the XLT only came with the 4-spd trans. On my sport I had a 5-spd trans. Now from my understanding the there is a computer that controls the shifting on the ford transmissions. I know there is 4inh difference in wheel base, but can you run the 5-spd SOHC trans with the OHV? If so, what has to be taken into account as far as modifying?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if I overlooked a thread, can someone at least point me in that direction.

Those are auto to manual conversion threads, I want a to go from the 4r55e to the 5r55e (I believe that is the 4-speed tranny code).

Wow. Sorry about that. I just saw 5 speed and assumed manual.

Not worth it

Those are auto to manual conversion threads, I want a to go from the 4r55e to the 5r55e (I believe that is the 4-speed tranny code).

'95 and '96 V6 (OHV only) Explorers used the 4R55E 4spd-auto
All V8 trucks '96-up used a 4R70W
'97-up V6's (both OHV and SOHC) used a 5R55E 5spd-auto

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe both V6's use the same bellhousing pattern, so the 4 and 5 speed tranny's might physically swap, but it won't work. The trans is controlled by a computer. It's the same one that controls the engine. (The ecm) Since your '96 couldn't have come with the 5R55E, you can't just get a junkyard ecm that will control it. You also can't use a '97-up ecm from a vehicle w/a SOHC motor. So, if it could work, you're only chance would be a trans and ecm from a '97-up explorer w/an OHV V6. Now, this still doesn't mean it's just gonna work. That '97-up ecm almost certainly won't just plug-and-play with your '96 chassis and motor (and GEM)
If it can be made to work at all, it will most likely require a custom tune from someone like James at Henson Performance. You would also have to get a Ford dealer to program the new ecm to work with your GEM and BCM, if it's even possible (I believe '98-up has PATS w/ chip key).

Bottom line, good thinking about wanting to upgrade to a 5spd auto, but it's just not worth it; if it's even possible to make all the electronics talk. Of course there is another option: James at Henson can sell you a stand alone trans controller, and take the trans control function out of your original ecm. Of course this will probably cost more than your truck!

If you really want the 5-spd 5R55E, sell your '96, and buy a '97-up. If you do this, you can also upgrade your motor by buying one with the SOHC-V6.

The really short answer is that it'll bolt up, but it won't function properly. The differences between the two are numerous. Check out the trans, transfer cases, and differential forum for more info.... Several guys there know the exact details. (I just know that the general consnsus is that it's a bust)

Back