• Register Today It's free!

springs and suspension

Thomas Mackin

Reaction score
City, State
Eagle River,Wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My 02 xlt has 96K on the clock. The rear springs are fine. It was made in late April of 02. Could Ford already changed the springs in later made 02's? Also what shocks/struts seem to be best for my truck. Next summer will be getting tires and maybe change the suspension and then have it re aligned. Also should I change any bushings?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford did not make the change until the 03 model, regardless of the date the truck was made. They used an inferior 3rd party parts supplier for their 02 builds, and they changed their vendor/supplier for the 03 build.

A good example of this, is that my 03 was built in October of 02, but since it's an 03...the factory used the updated build parts.

Another even better example is that if you had an 02 Explorer built in mid-late 01, you obviously would have none of the 01 parts as it's a completely different design with parts from different vendors.

Only the 02's had the rear spring problem, regardless of whether it was built in 01 or 02.

yeah I have a 02 thats have the spring problem I just recieved the springs today from rock auto 98.00 shipped for both coils:D I just need to get my lazy ass in gear to get them changed out.:rolleyes:

I have already put the rear pass. side on my 02 mounty. I am going ot get the other one in the spring when the weather breaks. I guess.

STU

My 02 Limited, bought new, was a early April build and has the OEM springs unbroken at 104K miles.

I have replaced the front wheel bearings and all four front ball joints, all shocks and bushings are original, if that helps.

Back