Sputtering Engine...????

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hey guys, lemme preface by saying I am on the road traveling and I have set camp for the night with some relatives. I am at this moment, sitting on the kitchen floor typing away on my laptop looking for answers! Haha. If anyone can help I know its you guys.

Ok the problem is that my engine has started sputtering. Its not out of gas! It sounds like when a spark plug is bad, but the plugs should be fine, they are less than 10k miles! I recently had the ac looked at, but other than that the engine has been running fine. Any ideas? It is sputter upon acceleration, and almost like a small amount of hesitation as well... Thanks in advance!
--bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it could be any number of things... the most common, is a dirty maf or an o2 sensor.... did the cel trigger at all?

It could be alot of things. Do you have access to any guages?

The only gauges I have are what is on the dash. Lol. Like I said, Im on the road, spending the night here with some family, heading out by 10am, and then the X will be parked for about a week. Then I have to drive back to Houston (about 150 miles).
What do you mean about the cel triggering? explain pls.
--bryan

did you at anytime while driving see the CEL (check engine light) come on?

Don't sweat it until you get home, chances are you won't have a breakdown.

Nope no CEL. Yeah I know, its just that last time I was on the road and had car issues, had I addressed them immediately it woulda been a $30 fix, but bc I waited it was $300! lol. Dont wanna make that mistake again! :)
Now that Im thinkin back to the past week... I was out of town for about a week and a half, and the explorer was sitting un run. When I started it up, it did the sputter thing. I gave it some gas and it kicked itself up and I didnt hear anything after that. Until now I mean. (If it is the MAF or o2... what kinda $ are we talkin about?)
--bryan

to clean the maf is like $5 becuase you need a can of cleaner....and a new o2 sensor is like $60

cool cool. thanks for the info guys. I just didnt want it to be something possibly major that was gonna go super wrong. Like Jason said, Ill make it home, and worry about it more then. Thanks again! If anyone else has anything to say Im still listenin...
--bryan

If the sputtering starts after driving a while another possibility is your exhaust is not flowing smooth. Try the MAF cleaning and O2's first and remember to reset the computer afterwords. If that doesn't do it... I would say clogged cats.
:chug:

Well, after letting the car pretty much sit a week, I finally made my way back home. All 190 miles, no problems. I parked it, and the next morning (this morning) I went to start it to go to church, it sorta sputtered to life... I gave it some gas, and it was ok. I stopped, filled up with gas, went to restart, more sputtering again, but came to life. Third time, after stopping for doughnuts, I went to start it and it almost wouldnt start. I turned it over once, nothing. Again, and I got a sputter then die. A third try and it came to life. What do you guys think? I would really like to spend the day fixing it if possible today, as I will be out of town again next week, and want to return to a working car. All suggestions are GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
PS - Is the MAF filter hard to change? And what about the o2 sensors?
--bryan

Nevermind Guys I spent the day sleeping, and woke up, had a friend come over, and we went, duh! what about the battery! Checked it out, and yup, it needed to be replaced! That did it! Thanks foryour help though.
--bryan

Back