• Register Today It's free!

Squeak from front suspension

clarks2001

Reaction score
City, State
Ashburn, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited
Well, when everyone reads the title, I am sure they are going to say "sway bar bushings". Well, those are not even a year old and the noise is totally different than the sway bar bushings.
When I go over pot holes or some speed bumps, I get this squeak noise. I need my ball joints replaced (already have them sitting here waiting to go in), But could that cause the noise? Its only coming from the drivers side front end. I have done no work on that side of the vehicle so I know I haven't broken anything myself lol. Could it be the tie rods or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have someone bounce on the bumper and lay under there and listen.

good luck

I pushed down on the front end and also stood on the running board on driver side and bounced up and down and didnt hear anything, seems to happen on sudden impacts.

mine was the lower ball joints.

Here's an old-school idea. Spray one component at a time with a penetrating oil. Drive around for a day or so to let it work in, and see if the noise stops. Theoretically, if the noise stops, the last thing you sprayed should be the culprit.

There are also bushings in the inner portion of the upper and lower control arms. Are you sure those are OK?

Mike

If the bushings in the control arms were bad, wouldnt it make a noise when rock it or jump on it? also, how does one go about spraying inside the ball joints? I think that would be rather impossible maybe?

I would try the spray first, you have nothing to lose. It would at least help eliminate the bushings as the cause.

Mike

Back