• Register Today It's free!

Squeak from front of engine

nybes

Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8
A couple of months ago a squeak started at the front of the engine very similar to belt squeaking. The Explorer: Stock 1996 XLT, 5.0 V8, Towing Pkg, 90,000 miles. I changed the belt again(changed about 60K miles) but noise persisted. Seemed to come from center of front of engine. I changed idler pulley at center top above water pump. Noise unchanged. I assumed it was water pump and brought it to mechanic. He guessed water pump also and ordered a new one. But before he R&Red, he started engine without the belt on. Noise persisted! So he removed the harmonic balancer/pulley and the inner rubber material appeared dried and disintegrating. He ordered and installed new pulley/balancer and started engine without belt. Noise still there. At this point I said wait and let me check with this board. I'm worried that it is coming from the timing chain. The squeak is intermitent, worst when first started and can sometimes be quite loud. I'm inclined to put it back together and live with it. HELP.
Nybes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be a bearing in the alternator. Is that still spinning w/the belt off? (I'm not 5.0 literate, so not sure if one belt runs all or not)

With the belt off the only thing turning is the balancer/pulley. The only two choices that stick out is the timing chain, or the front seal rubbing the crank. If it's not affecting the way it runs I'd ignore it. Try running some thicker oil, Old school trick for quieting higher mileage motors.

This is exactly the same problem that's haunting my X right now. Started 2 months ago as a faint chirp, but only happened once or twice in a 3 day span. Now it is most prevelant when first started for the day, or when it has been sitting for a while and it is much noisier than before.

I noticed my tensioner was coming apart (when I removed it is nearly sprang in my palm!) so I replaced it thinking that was it. Nope. The belt is new and all pullies look OK. I'm tempted to ride it until it snaps and go for the 5.0 conversion and a REAL transmission.

-RB

Thanks Y'all. I thought about the old heavier grade of oil thing and that's the route I will go for now. I will keep you appraised.

Back