Squeaking brake hardware on 96 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Squeaking brake hardware on 96 explorer

Tatrman

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hey there,

First time posting but I've been lurking for awhile. Good to finally be registered.

So i noticed some terrible metal on metal noise while driving and when braking on my front driver side rotor. Naturally I figured the pads were low so I replaced them. I was surprised the old pads still had some life. After the change the squeak was even worse so i did some research and discovered it was the 3rd piece of brake hardware that clamps on the caliper behind the brakes rubbing on the rotor.

After replacing the brake hardware both front brakes began sqeaking in the same spot! I inspected the whole system and cound not really see any point to this third piece of metal that clips on the the caliper so i took it off. Have not had any problems since on a few short drives around town.

Question is: can anyone tell me what risk i might be taking by not having those pieces on? The pads seem to be sliding well by the other two pieces on the caliper mount and held firmly in place. What's the point of the third piece?

I think you're referring to the "anti-rattle" clips (thin stainless steel pieces). They're there to to prevent the brake calipers from rattling and I suppose they also smooth their movement instead of having cast iron against cast iron. If the clips are not perfectly centered, relative to the brake rotor, the rotor can rub on the clips when it expands from friction (and cast iron expands quite a bit when heated). I've had this happen on one of our Mountaineers and it made a hell of a racket, but only when the rotors were hot.

Are the anti-rattle clips necessary? I've done several brake jobs on used vehicles where the clips were missing and they never seemed to make much difference.

Ah that's it. Thanks for the response. After taking it for more extended drives i am definitely hearing the "rattle" these are supposed to prevent. Suppose i will have to take a look and see if i can get the clips centered

Ah that's it. Thanks for the response. After taking it for more extended drives i am definitely hearing the "rattle" these are supposed to prevent. Suppose i will have to take a look and see if i can get the clips centered

The clips should have little tabs that you bend over to keep them from moving around on the caliper mounting bracket once you get them centered.

Back