Squeaky Front End!

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So I have heard a few others have this problem. But, my explorer since the day I bought it squeaks whenever I go over a bump or whatever. Its annoying and I need a fix. I've WD-40'd the front end (sway bar bushings, and anything else that look likes it needed to be lubed) three times in august and about a week later the sqeak is coming back!

Anything I should try?
I welcome all suggestions, I want this squeaky-ness gone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the WD-40 to find the issue. If you spray one component at a time, you will find which one it is. Once you find it, replace it unless you can find a way to permanently lube it.

or spend 30$ and replace the sway bar bushings that bolt to the frame.

I tried the wd 40 thing for a while. New ones are cheap and easy to replace.

Good suggestion. I'll have to look in to that. I do have a repair manual so I do have a step by step manual to work on my X with. I'll see what I can do. :thumbsup:

ya not too tough. And having a manual comes in handy.

My ex did the same thing, but only when it was cool out and I went over a large bump slowly, like a speed bump. I needed to replace the ball joints because they were loose, after that no more squeaking. Also, I had a 2000 F-150 that did the same thing squeaking over bumps, it was under warranty so the dealer fixed it, Lower ball joint.

or spend 30$ and replace the sway bar bushings that bolt to the frame.

I tried the wd 40 thing for a while. New ones are cheap and easy to replace.

Do this.

Lube the sway bar and inside of the bushing with grease while you're at it. I use a Slick 50 synthetic grease on just about everything like this. Problem solved and it took me about an hour start to finish.

No more mouse noises.

Ice, its just a could be. Try lubing the sway bar bushings first, easier and cheaper. Then see what happens. I lived with my noise for 3-4 years. It was annoying as hell.

when you guys did the bushings, did you remove the sway bar end links? or just unbolt the sway bar bushings, take the old bushing out, put the new one in.

I remember I didnt but loosened them up. I forget . ?

The ford ones have greese allready applied to them. Mine have been on 20k miles and I see some greese oozing out of the bushings which is a good thing. No squeeks still.

Well I'm going to do the greasing first. Then work from there

If the sway bar isnt the problem look at your control arm bushings, have a buddy pull up on the fender and put your head under the car while hes rocking the car and find out where its coming from

Back