• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky front end

EMG7895

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xlt, 93
Recently I have developed a squeaky front end going over speed bumps and around corners at low speeds, I can replicate the noise by pushing down on the bumper and it sounds like it might be coming from the passenger side. I replaced the radius arm bushing on that side about 6 months ago. No more clunks just an annoying squeak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try greaseing the tie rods and ball joints. that may take care of it.

Did you use poly bushings for the Radius Arms? Those things might need a bit of grease because they are apparently notorious for being squeaky.

I dont recall what material they were, but poly does sound familiar. Tie rods, ball joints and everything else is all greased and in good shape so thats not the issue. It almost sounds as if the springs themselves are squeking.

i have the same problem on my explorer. i replaced the shocks for other reasons and it didnt help.

I had this same problem on my 97. The ball joints were replaced about 6 months ago so I greased everything up, but it didn't help, so I went to town with wd-40 on all the bolts and and such around the tires and ball joints until the squeaking stopped. I found that the squeaking stopped when I sprayed wd-40 on the upper control arm bolts behind the dirt protector. Hope this helps.

So many moving parts, it's hard to guess for you over the internet. My BII did the same thing, and it turned out to be a loose shock bolt.

Where you can replicate the noise by bouncing the front end, I'd probably get someone to bounce the front end (just enough to make the noise), while I poked around underneath. A stethoscope might be useful if you have trouble pinpointing the noise.

Back