Rhett

Let Them Eat Cake
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Cape Girardeau, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport 4x4
I've got a squeaky rear axle; or it could be coming from the drum brakes, I can't tell. I jacked up the rear end and when turning either rear wheel there was the squeaking sound. Is there some sort of lubrication that needs to be done, or is there something inside the drums that I need to work on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd start by checking the u-joints.

Well, that's possible, but last week I lubed the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft, (that's why I had the rear end up on jack stands) and so I was testing the u-joints for play and noise, and there wasn't any, so I assume they're still good. Plus I don't have any driveline vibration like one might expect with bad U's. But the u-joints are 9 years old so it could be dried out.

To me it really sounds like it's in the drum, but I am not as familiar with the drum brakes or the P-brake setup, and I was curious about this squeak.

white lithium grease

i have a 92 explorer and my buddy at work told me for the sqeeking in the rear lift spring spray some white lithium grease in between the slates!
it works!!

I'll do that. It just sounds like it's not the leafs...it sounds like its inside the drums, for some reason. But I've been wrong before.

bump

Back