• Register Today It's free!

How hot do brake drums get?

Nowincolor

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT
Couple of questions for the wrenchheads in the forum...

I am redoing the rear brakes on my '93 Xplorer XLT 4x4.
The previous owner told me that he had changed the shoes, pads, fluids,,etc. Me being the Boy Scout I am, I trusted him. Shame on me. My brakes have been intermittently, failing to work. Especially if I drive over a series of small bumps, like wash board, or a bad intersection. I can push on the brake pedal as hard as I can, and it does nothing. Right before it does this, it makes a sound like your stomach makes, a muffled rumbling. Any ideas on that problem would be appreciated as well. I pulled off my drums yesterday, and found there was no shoe left. Literally, my stopping power came from friction of rivots. Today, I bought new wheel cylinders, drums, shoes, springs,,Everything. I'm doing it all. My main question, besides why my brakes do that thing on the bumps, is how hot do drums get? I have two types of paint 500 degree and 1200 degree. The 1200 degree is black, and the 500 degree is red. Would it be ok to paint the drums red?

Sorry about the jumping from subject to subject. I'm really tired, I was working on getting the passenger side rear drum off when the fireworks went off, and realized it was 2001. Hehehe, happy new year.

~Chris

A couple of things come to mind, first, about 70% of your breaking is at the front wheels. So if you're pushing the breaks to the floor you may want to inspect the front breaks too and while your at it, bleed the break lines.

As far as temperature goes, I don't think the outside of the break drums will exceed 500 degrees.

it sounds like there may be something goofy going on with the ABS, possibly a loose connection? I know that "grumbling" sound your describing comes on when I push on the brakes on ice or something, it's the ABS kicking in... my bet is that it wouldn't be your rear brakes that are the problem but rather the fronts... the rears are used mainly when parking brake is applied.

yeh

500 degree paint is fine for the rear..I've got it on the drums of a racecar and its spiffy...why drums ona racecar I dont know...too lazy for a conversion? too poor?

Dont do it on the front tho...get caliper paint for that. They make it..specific stuff for painting brake calipers.

Back