• Register Today It's free!

Squealing Brakes PLEASE HELP

cole.crowder

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
My brakes have been squealing ever since i got my 98 explorer sport. It only happens whenever you press the brakes half way down and it doesnt even do it everytime. I replaced my brake pads and turned my rotors but that didnt help. Its only coming from the rear. I also noticed that my emergency brake shoes are slightly cracked, but it doesnt seem like this would be a problem because they are not used in normal braking. Also the brake pad on the outside of the rotor is wearing unevenly. Towards the center of the rotor, the pads dont seem to be touching, i dont know if this could be a reason for it or not. Please give me any adivice you can. I leave for college Friday morning and i need to get this taken care of before i leave. Please reply ASAP. Thanks.

cole.crowder@sbcglobal.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you put new pads on when you had the rotors turned?

Did you replace all the pads?

Did you reuse all the clips that hold the pads to the caliper?

Did you use the anti squeal pads that come with the brake pads?(If included)

Did you use anti squeal gel on the pads?

What brand pads did you buy?

What's happening is the back pads are loose in the calipers. When you touch the brakes there is not enough pressure to completely stop the vibrating(squealing), but when you press harder the force stops the vibration and clamps down on the pads for harder stops. Once the brakes are released the pads start to "float" again. Get some anti squeal gel, it comes in small ketchup size packets for like 99 cents. Buy one packet for each caliper.

Let me know on those questions.

Some brands of pads have an extra set of centering pins on the back of the pad that need to be ground off. If they aren't then you're pads will not fit correctly and wear unevenly.

Finally, were the pads you used red?

Matt

Yes I put new pads on when i turned the rotors

Yes I replaced front and back pads.

The new pads already had clips on them.

The anti squeal pads only came for the front, so I sprayed brake quiet on the back pads.

I couldnt tell you the brand, I threw the box away. It was O'reliey's "house brand"

Since I used the brake quiet, is it not necessary to try the gel? What are the extra set of centering pins you are talking about exactly? The only clips I had were the ones already attached to the pads that clip onto the caliper. And no the pads were not red. Black or grey. It was doing the same exact thing even before I had the rotors turned and put on new brake pads.

Thank you so much for your help matt.

-Cole

cole.crowder@sbcglobal.net

I have never used the spray, it's too thin. The gel goes on like a glue and once the pads heat up the adhere to the calipers more or less to stop the squealing. Only the front pads have these pins and they are on the opposite side of the pad on the backer. If they aren't ground off it causes the top of the pad to hit first making the lower part not touch completely.

What kind of pads did you have on there before?

sorry i have no idea what kind they were. The guy that had the car before me had them put on.

You said it was just the back ones? Are you sure? There are metal clips that should be on the front calipers to hold the pads in place.

That's funny, when mine do it on really hot days it's only the front.

Take a wheel off and see if they are loose. Check the instalation and put a new coat of the brake quiet gel in the little packets. That always works for me.

Good luck,
Matt

Yeah its definately just the back. But the front brakes just sit on the rotor with the caliper placed over them. But its definately just the back. I'll try the gel but i coated the spray on pretty thick.

Mine were squelling as well, I just put some of the brake quite (gell stuff) on the pads and worked like a charm. Just did it yesterday.

Back